DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Oracle Home copied on a diff PC

Oracle Home copied on a diff PC

Hi ,
    I had installed oracle 8i on Linux RH AS 2.1 with much difficulty and time and with success.
    And then I had to install Oracle 8i on a diff Linux RH AS2.1 box but I failed in this I didnt know what was the problem.
    So with one of my friends advise I copied the oracle home folder from first linux box to the new linux box and started the server and bingo it was starting up and i cud connect to the database but

THE PROBLEM is that when i am trying to connect it thru a java program using oracle thin drivers from a diff client machine I am getting "Network Adapter Could not Establish Connection".
    But i am able to connect thru SQLPLUS client from a client PC.
    Can anyone please help me in this regard?
    I modified the listener.ora and tnsnames.ora replacing the IP address of Oracle server.
    Thank You
    Kulkarni
    Sitaram KUlkarni

Re: Oracle Home copied on a diff PC

Originally posted by kulkarni08
    THE PROBLEM is that when i am trying to connect it thru a java program using oracle thin drivers from a diff client machine I am getting "Network Adapter Could not Establish Connection".
    Instead of jdbcracle:thin:@192.168.66.125:1521:hris

use jdbcracle:thin:@(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS_LIST=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP) (HOST=192.168.66.125)(PORT=1521)))(CONNECT_DATA=(SERVICE_NAME=hris)(SERVER=DEDICATED)))

...ofcourse, with the relevant substitution for your environment.

HTH.

Thanx it Worked.

Hi gnan,
    Thanx it worked for us but I didnt understand what was wrong with the regular URL jdbcracle:thin:@192.168.66.125:1521:hris,

I see the only change is SERVER=DEDICATED in the arguments list what does this specify??
    May I know the reason for this

Thanx
    Kulkarni
    Sitaram KUlkarni