DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: unable to extend initial extent

unable to extend initial extent

Hi All,
    Due to some space issues i want to re-organise my large tables.For that, i took an export of all those table and i dropped them. I got near about 6 gigs of free space. Now when i was trying to import those table back, i'm getting ORA 01658 error:

"CREATE TABLE "D_FINTX" ("FACILITY" NUMBER NOT NULL ENABLE, "FINTXSEQ" NUMBE"
    "R NOT NULL ENABLE, "CLAIMNO" VARCHAR2(20) NOT NULL ENABLE, "LINEITEMNUMBER""
    " VARCHAR2(20) NOT NULL ENABLE, "CLNTSYS" NUMBER, "FCCODE" VARCHAR2(20), "IN"
    "SCODE" VARCHAR2(20), "TXTYPE" VARCHAR2(5), "TXAMT" NUMBER(15, 2), "TXDT" DA"
    "TE, "TXCODE" VARCHAR2(20), "FILEDATE" DATE, "DATEADDED" DATE, "LASTUPDATE" "
    "DATE, "HOSPSEQ" NUMBER, "DCCLAIM" VARCHAR2(5), "INVOICEABLE" VARCHAR2(1) NO"
    "T NULL ENABLE, "INVOICED" VARCHAR2(1) NOT NULL ENABLE, "INVOICENUMBER" NUMB"
    "ER, "D_FLAG" VARCHAR2(1), "HTXTYPE" VARCHAR2(5), "PAYDT" DATE, "REFNO" VARC"
    "HAR2(20), "DIVISION" VARCHAR2(20), "XREFNO" VARCHAR2(20), "ADJ_REASON_CODE""
    " VARCHAR2(10), "DENIAL_CODE" VARCHAR2(10)) PCTFREE 10 PCTUSED 40 INITRANS "
    "1 MAXTRANS 255 LOGGING STORAGE(INITIAL 1738604544 NEXT 1048576 MINEXTENTS 1"
    " MAXEXTENTS 2500 PCTINCREASE 0 FREELISTS 1 FREELIST GROUPS 1 BUFFER_POOL DE"
    "FAULT) TABLESPACE "DLOADERDATA01""
    IMP-00003: ORACLE error 1658 encountered
    ORA-01658: unable to create INITIAL extent for segment in tablespace DLOADERDATA01
    Import terminated successfully with warnings.

I got almost 7 gigs of free space in that tablespace and my initial extent for that tablespace is set to 1024k,next 1024K.
    How can i successfully import them back . Do i need to need add some more datafiles to that tablespace now?

I'm running oracle 8.1.6 on Linux 6.2

Please help , as i dropped those tables from a development machine, i need to put them back as soon as possible....

Any help is greatly appreciated
    thanks in advance
    PNRDBA

see the initial extent of that table, 1.7Gb, do you have 1.7 Gb of free contiguous space in that tablespace, I bet you dont.

Coalesce the tablespace

No, even after coalescing tablesapce my largest free chucnk is around 800Megs. So, i created an initial extent with 500M, next 250M and pct increase 0 and created the structure first and with ignore=y option i just now started importing, it's going fine now.. Thanks a lot..
    PNRDBA

if you can move to LMT's and you will avoid this fragmentation. Or at least use inital=next and you will get round some of this probs

Re: unable to extend initial extent

Originally posted by pnrdba
    Please help , as i dropped those tables from a development machine, i need to put them back as soon as possible....

Any help is greatly appreciated
    thanks in advance
    This happened cos you exported with compress=y option. Now while importing oracle is trying to import the whole table data into one extent.

Alter the datafile to autoextend on or manualy increase the size of the datafile and then try importing. Also make sure that there is lot of space on the disk.

HTH
    Amar
    "There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path."

Amar's Blog  Get Firefox!