DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's the best method for this?

What's the best method for this?

What's the best method for multiple installs (some are the same version) on the same server as far as the oraInventory directory is concerned?

There's got to be a better way than copying the /etc/oraInst.loc every time we install to a different $ORACLE_HOME.

One slip, and oraInventory will be corrupted.
    "I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." Isaac Asimov
    Oracle Scirpts DBA's need

Point the ORACLE_BASE and ORACLE_HOME to the location of ORACLE_HOME. This will create a new oraInventory under each ORACLE_HOME directory. Also you would have to remame the oraInst.loc file such that you will keep the oracle inventory loc for each installs.

I personally prefer to maintain the inventory under each home, such that messing up with one inventory will not mess the other installs. When you do any patch installs, you would have to reset the ORACLE_BASE to ORACLE_HOME. This will also help me to keep the jdk versions individual to each installs.

Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!

That is our current methodology and it resulted in a corrupted oraInventory when the oraInst.loc file was pointing to the wrong place during an upgrade of one $OH's.

It'll work if everyone is real careful, but isn't there a BETTER way?
    "I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." Isaac Asimov
    Oracle Scirpts DBA's need

Why not you write a shell script and execute it before every install/upgrade with the apporpriate value. Else write one with an interactive mode that would allow the user to choose between.

sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Re: What's the best method for this?

There's got to be a better way than copying the /etc/oraInst.loc every time we install to a different $ORACLE_HOME.
    /etc/oraInst.loc? What version of Oracle are you using that puts a file in the /etc directory? I've only seen /var/opt/oracle, created by running /tmp/orainstRoot.sh if /var/opt/oracle doesn't already exist.

Once the oraInst.loc file is created, OUI looks for the location specified in it, then reads the oraInventory stuff. You can have multiple Oracle products installed in their respective ORACLE_HOMEs, with all of that information stored in the original oraInventory directory if you let Oracle do what it wants to do.

The only time I've had to dummy up the oraInst.loc file is when getting abused by the iAS/iDS installation process, and that was going off the reservation for other reasons (needed to do that so iDS would install using the JRE directory created with the iDS install, and not using the JRE directory from a previous Oracle product install).

Re: Re: What's the best method for this?

Originally posted by stecal
    /etc/oraInst.loc? What version of Oracle are you using that puts a file in the /etc directory? I've only seen /var/opt/oracle, created by running /tmp/orainstRoot.sh if /var/opt/oracle doesn't already exist.
    The path is not the same on all UNIX flavours. In HP it goes into /etc/oraInst.loc.

As KenEwald pointed, its not a practive a general oracle rep would recomend. I personally have been through some problem, which forced me to do an install from scrach. Its not as simple as you may think once the inventory gets corrupted. The practice what KenEwald had been following was a recomendation made to me from Oracle Inventory development folks long time back. This would keep the things clean, installations smooth. The only pain the one that KenEdwald had pointed out, possibility of messing it.

-Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

You mean someone is still using HP-UX for UNIX? Where? Who? How often? When did you know about this, and what have you done about it? Our little HP box sits in a dark room, collecting dust, weeping gently, hoping for the day when it will be needed again.

HP-UX is still really popular in the telecoms industry - which is s ahame cos I cant stan dit. Any OS that can't automount a CD has some serious problems

BTW, stecal,
    HP servers are the first certified configuration for the 9i RAC

-Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

HP and Oracle? Yeah, that's Oracle sleeping around with whomever will give them good press.