DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DB Configuration Asst . v. Manual Creation - opinions

DB Configuration Asst . v. Manual Creation - opinions

I always use the config assistant to create databases but I would prefer to do it manually as I'd be aware of exactly what I'm doing and what's going on.

I'd like to find some details on creating DBs manually (on Windoz NT and 2K). Anyone know of any good resources/sites with detailed step by step instructions?

Also - what's the opinion out there about using the Config Assistant? (in 8i and 9i).

Why waste your time figuring out how to create a database manually when there is a GUI to do it for you. Anything you can change in a script you can change through the GUI.
    Jeff Hunter

Jeff,

I agree partially - the GUI is the only way I could get the syntax right in the Net8 ora files.

However the odds are, if you need to do it once, you will need to repeat it (e.g. rolling out a change: Dev to Test to Prod). Unless you are highly disciplined and take screen shots of every step, it's difficult to be sure it's done the same every time.

In general I use a GUI and save the SQL to apply later. Rollout is then straight forward and, JMac, you can look at the scripts to understand what is going on.

Well I feel a bit better after reading your comments guys. Always shyed away from GUIs as you were never sure what they were actually doing.

I'm using the GUI now in 9i and its falling over with an ORA-00439 (Feature Not Enabled: Managed Standby).

Can't fathom out what its trying to do as I've not specified Managed Standby anywhere in the configuration, and it appears nowhere in the init.ora that the assistant uses to try and create the DB.

I'm stumped.

Its Standard Edition I'm using - and yes I've checked V$OPTION which shows Managed_Standby as FALSE, which is what I'd expect from Standard Edition. So why is the assistant trying to reference it? any ideas?

Re-running the DB creation process after contacting support.

So far, so good. The Creation process is running several minutes after the point it failed before.

Support pointed out that the init.ora created by the assistant specifies:

LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_1 = 'pathname ...'

And pointed out it should be:

LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST = 'pathname ...'

So, it appeares that multiple archive destinations are Enterprise Edition territory. If so, why did the assistant use it?

My point exactly about using GUIs. When specifying the archive dest there's no options to specify this particular point. Only later can you go back and edit the init params that the GUI has created?

So - any idea why it does this? Any why such an obscure error message (Managed Standby???)

What you pointed was TRUTH nothing BUT TRUE . I normally use to save the configuration script, edit and then run. But if I choose to use the DBCA, I don't enable the archive log.

Be happy that you learn something new from your experience

Also check the following link: http://download-west.oracle.com/docs...hredo.htm#4150
    Sam
    Last edited by sambavan; 07-29-2003 at 12:19 PM.
    Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!

Originally posted by DaPi

In general I use a GUI and save the SQL to apply later.
    Exactly what i do myself. It's the only way to ...

i) make sure you get the syntax right
    ii) understand exactly what the create process will do
    iii) save it for reuse later
    iv) make all the little tweaks, changes, and validations that the GUI won't let you do so easily.
    David Aldridge,
    "The Oracle Sponge"

Senior Manager, Business Intelligence Development
    XM Satellite Radio
    Washington, DC

Oracle ACE

Glad you said all that folks. I hate doing 'something' and not understanding how and what exactly it is I'm doing.

So - you reckon, use the ODBCA to create the DB but disable the logging and switch that on manually after the DB is created? Sounds good.

And yes - you live and learn! Which means the hours I spent redoing the creation were not a complete waste.

Originally posted by JMac
    So - you reckon, use the ODBCA to create the DB
    No! The common suggestion was to use ODBCA to write database creation scripts for you, but do not allow ODBCA to actually create the database. You would run those scripts manualy, step by step, to see what each step is doing and what is the outcome.
    Jurij Modic
    ASCII a stupid question, get a stupid ANSI
    24 hours in a day .... 24 beer in a case .... coincidence?

It is similar to the GUI tools on Solaris - they are there for the weak and effeminate; it is more manly to use scripts and commands.