DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: connect to db with out listener? possible??

connect to db with out listener? possible??

I have three databases(9i) and I wanted to connect to this with out a listener.
    Could any one tell whether this is possible. If so what changes I have to make.
    I am working on W2k, Oracle 9i

I listener is not required if the connections are server-side client connections you can use the Bequeath protocol.
    Jim
    Oracle Certified Professional
    "Build your reputation by helping other people build theirs."

"Sarcasm may be the lowest form of wit but its still funny"

Click HERE to vist my website!

Here the problem is on Win2K,Oracle 9i when listener is down, I won't be able to connect to database using sqlplus????

The question is whether you are running sqlplus "on the database server". Are you? If so, you can do this. If not, you need a listener.
    Tom Best

Ya. am running this on the same server but my network is down.
    Same scenario works fine in NT,Oracle7.x, I wonder why in Win2k,Oracle9i not possible to connect from the server itself when the network is down??

so what's the error message, and why does the network being down prevent the listener from running?
    David Aldridge,
    "The Oracle Sponge"

Senior Manager, Business Intelligence Development
    XM Satellite Radio
    Washington, DC

Oracle ACE

Originally posted by sudheer_nm
    . . . . when the network is down??
    Do you mean that the box the server plugs into is dead or the server network card is dead or that the network configuration on the server is trashed?

Can you ping the server name specified as HOST = xxxx in tnsnames.ora?

If you want to connect without a listener (assuming you are where the Db resides), the oracle_sid entrie in the registry must be set to the instance you want to connect to.
    If there is no solution, it is because there is no problem - Shadok -

Originally posted by yanban
    If you want to connect without a listener (assuming you are where the Db resides), the oracle_sid entrie in the registry must be set to the instance you want to connect to.
    Nonsence. What if you have more than one instance under the same oracle_home? Would you manualy edit registry each time you want to connect to a particular instancve without the listener?

Simply set the ORACLE_SID env variable whichever way you want it (command line, user environment) and you'll have no problem connecting to your database without the listener, even if you don't have ORACLE_SID entry in your registry at all.
    Jurij Modic
    ASCII a stupid question, get a stupid ANSI
    24 hours in a day .... 24 beer in a case .... coincidence?

Yes, on the server where the instance is, make sure your oracle_sid variable is set to the instance you want. Is done at the command line or through the Enviroment tab in the control/system panels.

You also have to have tnsnames entry setup to do the BEQUEATH connection. this bypases the network and drops straight into the database. You have to be on the server where the instance is.

I use both sqlplus, and all the OEM apps using this method when I have to update my application backend. Shutdown my database, turn listener off, connect and restart database, then run my load scipts using my bequeath entry to connect. Keeps the users out until I am ready for them.