DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Oracle Grid Computing Technologies

Oracle Grid Computing Technologies

Hi,

On oracle web site, there is Oracle Grid Computing Technologies home page.

http://otn.oracle.com/products/oracl...g/content.html

Is there any one here having hand on experiences with this technologies?

Thanks.

xyz

Cool

Yeh..
    All that i have heard is that the next version of Oracle will be named as 10g; Where g stands for grid computing

Hi

Grid computing is useful when you want to share idle capacity of your servers many companies are using it.Oracle runs regression test case on a grid computing network..the next version of oracle database is grid enabled and so is Db2 i am not sure of sql server though..IBM has several grids for computing which companies can rent out..Independent Software Vendors can utilise this grid and pay as per their utilisation just like the way you pay for say consuming electricity or water..IBM as far as i know has 5 grid computing centers one is located at University of Pennsilvaniya..Grid computing is next generation of distrubuted computing :-) or maybe distributed computing on steriods.All oracle engineers who are doing regression testing are already using grid computing so is Hp,IBM and others..this is transperant to the application user .however if you want to make your application grid aware you should have the globus tool kit (api) for Grid computing..more about grid computing can be found here..

If you wanna learn more about grid computing technology just be there when developerworks is in your city :-).You will learn a lot on how grid computing can change the face of computing..

http://www-106.ibm.com/developerwork.../gr-infra.html
    www.globus.org

globus.org has some basic docs on how to build a grid :-)

I am working on grid computing..for a different reason though ;-)

Thanks.

There is a doc on web.

http://otn.oracle.com/products/oracl...dCookbook.html

But I don't have Red Hat Linux Advanced Server 2.1. to install the oracle 9i RAC.

Have any one installed oracle 9i (RAC) on Solaris 9 for x86?
    There is no certification on this OS for Oracle 9i.

xyz

Hi

check this cool stuff on how to setup and run a RAC on single box to play around with

metalink note 166830.1

You dont need Redhat Advanced Server for playing around with RAC.if you plan a production version though then you need RAS or the certified version for getting support from oracle.

regards
    Hrishy

Hi Hrishy,

Thanks.

xyz