DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Installing New Oracle version with mimimum downtime

Installing New Oracle version with mimimum downtime

Dear All

I need to install 8.1.7.3.0 onto a HP-UX 11 box that is already running an 8.1.6.0.0 database (we plan to upgrade to 9i soon, but I need to get our various boxes in line first).

I will be installing the 8.1.7.3.0 software to a different Oracle home, and will not be choosing to upgrade the database during the install (I want to do this later). Reading between the lines, the documentation implies that I don't need to shut down the 8.1.6 database and listener whilst installing the new software, I need only do this before upgrading the database later. This sounds reasonable to me.

Could anyone out there confirm that my assumption is correct e.g. that I can do the install with the database and listener up.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Austin

No problem - installing a second version of Oracle in a new home will not affect the current install and databases.

Regards
    Jim
    Oracle Certified Professional
    "Build your reputation by helping other people build theirs."

"Sarcasm may be the lowest form of wit but its still funny"

Click HERE to vist my website!

Jovery is right, the second home should not affect anything with the old version, one problem you might encounter is that the listener since Oracle default to the newer home. If you have this problem, just copy the listener of the older home to the new home.

Thank you both for you help.

Austin

one problem you might encounter is that the listener since Oracle default to the newer home. If you have this problem, just copy the listener of the older home to the new home.
    not true - its all to do with your path, if you path still has the old ORACLE_HOME in then it will not and cannot affect it.

right,

let's say if you have 8i running and install 9i on the same machine, if you pay attention, the path for 9i will be first. if you want to default to 9i and you have to change the listener.ora or you can pick the default primary home using Oracle Installer.

maybe on windows - but this is Unix - where they wont touch one another.

yeap,

that's what happened on Windows!!!!!!!!!!

well seeing as though the original poster was going on about HP-UX whats the use of bringing windows problems into it to confuse him?

Originally posted by mike2000
    right,

let's say if you have 8i running and install 9i on the same machine, if you pay attention, the path for 9i will be first. if you want to default to 9i and you have to change the listener.ora or you can pick the default primary home using Oracle Installer.
    Not a big deal, put your 8i path in front of 9i. Or simply start 8i listener from 8i home\bin or create a shortcut for 8i listener on desktop or ...... so many ways to fix one problem.
    Amar
    "There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path."

Amar's Blog  Get Firefox!