DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Hi Friends

Hi Friends

Hi,

I am in dilemma,
    I am working as Unix (Solaris and Linux) Admin and Oracle DBA too.......

I am good at Unix Administration and Oracle DBA........of course windows Servers OS
    But I am not using any storage related technologies like SAN and Storage Arrays.....So if I take in to Unix Admin , i should know all the things right.....As far, Oracle DBA skills helped me in Unix Administration..... I am in a dilemma, which path i should take i.e either DBA or Unix Administration ... I can be good server DBA not a Developement DBA.. I am using Sun Netra Servers at my end........

I want to take one and master in that......

Please guide me friends.....

Thanks
    Laxman

boss

Tricky issue

Good DBA should have knowledge and experience working and writing SQL, PL/SQL triggers , procedures.
    only doing DBA stuff will not help in long run.
    Also u should taste different flavour of servers- unix, linux, windows in oracle.

Unix admin is also good. It is vast as oracle dba. if u want to take up unix u should know firewall, proxy,dns, dhcp server, backups etc.

i suggest u do a search of unix administration and see what u know and where u stand . u have to decide urself.
    Eat , Drink & Enjoy life -

pravin_kini@hotmail.com

if you cant be or you dont like to be a development dba you better take system administration path

A good system administrator also has to write some shell or perl scripts or something like that, doesn't he?
    Tomaž
    "A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely
    foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools" - Douglas Adams

If you are involved in just installation, taking backups, network setup and regular DBA activities etc then you need not know much of programming (But shell scripting is a must) but if you are into performance tuning the you should be good in SQL, PL/SQL and other Objected oriented programmings.
    Amar
    "There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path."

Amar's Blog  Get Firefox!

obviously it´s much easier to code than to tune the code

Originally posted by pando
    obviously it´s much easier to code than to tune the code
    . . . it's easier to do it wrong than do it right !

In these days, when company hires a DBA they also want you to know SQL server, DB2, ...etc.

Try the web site like www.dice.com and www.hotjobs.com, find out what the market need and what you want to do. Then You have to have your own focus.

It is a lot of work just to keep your OCP or MCDBA current. It will be difficult to keep up with every thing.

xyz