DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Help Joining Large Tables

Lightbulb

I have several large tables I need to pull data from using a passthrough SQL query in Access. From this I am going to populate an Access table for another application.

Here are my tables and their fields

Orders (VERY LARGE TABLE)
    ---------------------------------
    Item
    Revision
    Quantity
    etc.

Items (LARGE TABLE)
    --------------------------------
    Item
    Revision
    Description

Items_CustomFields
    -------------------------
    Item
    Revision
    CustomField
    Vendor
    Vendor_Location
    (Used to determine if the Part is included in this particular report, and value must be in the resultset)

Locations
    -----------
    (Determines if the location is included in the report)

Vendors
    -----------------------
    Vendor
    Vendor_Loc
    VendorName

Inventory (VERY LARGE TABLE)
    --------------------
    Item
    Revision

I have the bulk of the query (using group by to get calculations) combining Orders, Items, Items_CustomFields, and Locations. This report runs within 20-30 minutes depending on server load. However, whenever I try and add either Inventory or Vendors I get the following Error:

ORA-01652: unable to extend temp segment by 5394 in tablespace SYSTEM

I have no control over the Oracle database, I can only send passthrough queries to retrieve READONLY data. So giving more temp space on the server is out of the question.

So, I tried the following technique:

SELECT
    a.*,
    b.QTY_On_Hand FROM (SELECT ..... [the main query] ...) a, Inventory b
    WHERE
    a.Item=b.Item and a.Revision=b.Revision and a.Location=b.Location
    Order by a.Item;

Using this technique I receive the following error:

ORA-01722: invalid number

I assumed this was because of the * so I specifically typed out all of the a.FIELDNAMES from the main query. But that too did not work stating that there was an invalid field name. I double checked all the spellings of the field names and their respective tables, but none of them are incorrect.

Can anybody suggest a better way to join these LARGE tables, or to be able to join them at all in this case!!! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

The account that accesses the Oracle database has SYSTEM tablespace as the temporary tablespace which is never a good idea. Please ask the database administrator to assign a temporary tablespace other than SYSTEM which is large enough to take care of the sorting associated with the query.

Regarding the last problem - please paste the exact query and error message so that we can take a look at that. There is definitely something wrong on your side otherwise the query would not fail.

Thanks.

Syed