DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Recovery scenario using archived logs

Recovery scenario using archived logs

Hi,

I'm using RMAN controlfile backup for my 24X7 system running 9.2.0.1. This system can't afford to have downtime. The scheduled RMAN is daily full backup. The archived logs are backup together into tapes only. Let say few months down the road, something happens and I need to recover. I need to have all the archived logs for the recovery? What if I lost a few oldest archived logs? Can I still able to recover the DB?

You will be able to recover to the point in time till which you have a continuous set of archive logs with the precedent datafile backup.
    Tomaž
    "A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely
    foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools" - Douglas Adams

If I lost a few archived logs then I'm not able to recover until point-in-time?

You are able to recover only up to the point in time before the lost archive logs, but not after.

Unless, of course, you have another datafile backup after the lost logs.

Like this (B:datafile backup, A:archived log, X:deleted archivelog):
    BAAAXAABAA
    You are able to recover to any point in time between B and X, but not after X before next B.
    The bold points in time are lost for you.
    Tomaž
    "A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely
    foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools" - Douglas Adams