DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Killing session / Infinite loop

Killing session / Infinite loop

OS Windoze NT
    Oracle 8.1.6.1.0

Howdy Boys and Girls;

Well it has been a looong weekend, working with my developers.

One problem I seem to have encountered is trying to kill a session stuck in an infinte loop. I tried killing it through OEM and it shows "killed" but the session remains. We even tried shutdown immediate but it just hangs, this makes sense since it is waiting for a session to end that is not going to end.
    Is there a way around this problem. I'd really like to exhaust all possibilities before I go and shoot another developer.

Thanks in advance!

MH
    I remember when this place was cool.

There is an article in MetaLink about how to find a thread and killing it. For all that effort though, you may as well stop the service/bounce the database.

Originally posted by stecal
    There is an article in MetaLink about how to find a thread and killing it. For all that effort though, you may as well stop the service/bounce the database.
    Thanks Steve, that is what we did but I figured there is an easier way to do this. I hate doing ugly shutdowns like that.
    I remember when this place was cool.

Have you tried orakill?
    Do you let your developers put "exception when others" in the loops
    Tomaž
    "A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely
    foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools" - Douglas Adams