Very stupid VERY annoying SQL* connect problem
DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Very stupid VERY annoying SQL* connect problem

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    3,131

    Very stupid VERY annoying SQL* connect problem

    Hey boys and girls;

    Well, this one is driving me nuts!!

    I just added some new entries to my local tnsnames.ora. This is for my Win 2K workstation. The entries are for some existing instances, let's say U555.

    The problem is that I can connect from OEM on my workstation.
    I can connect from a telnet Unix session.

    But I CAN NOT connect through SQL* locally.
    This is a problem because our development box has to point over to this new box and all the synoynms and db_links have to switch over as well.

    All I get is "ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve service name"

    This is Oracle 9.2
    My workstation is Win 2K.
    SQL * ver 9.2.0.1.0

    I thought maybe there were multiple Oracle homes, so I re-named ALL the copies of the tnsnames on my local W/S, except for the one in my oracle dir.

    Suggestions?

    Thanks

    MH
    I remember when this place was cool.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    2,645
    service_name plus names.default_domain (found in sqlnet.ora) = the entry in tnsnames.ora. No match, no resolve, hence the error.

    service name of u555
    sqlnet.ora names.default_domain entry of mrhanky.com
    entry in tnsnames (the first line of the stanza) must be u555.mrhanky.com

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Slovenia
    Posts
    422
    Make sure that tnsnames entry for u555 starts at beginning of line.
    Tomaž
    "A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely
    foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools" - Douglas Adams

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    3,131
    Originally posted by stecal
    service_name plus names.default_domain (found in sqlnet.ora) = the entry in tnsnames.ora. No match, no resolve, hence the error.

    service name of u555
    sqlnet.ora names.default_domain entry of mrhanky.com
    entry in tnsnames (the first line of the stanza) must be u555.mrhanky.com
    Yup, I finally figured it out, took a while though.

    The first line of tnsnames had

    U555

    but it was looking for

    U555.oracledb.mycompany.com

    After adding this in I was fine.

    Thanks

    MH
    I remember when this place was cool.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    2,645
    We're here for you 24/7.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    3,131
    Originally posted by stecal
    We're here for you 24/7.
    snif....sniffle
    Thanks, I love you man

    Sniff

    MH
    I remember when this place was cool.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Geneva Switzerland
    Posts
    3,142
    We've been flogging O'Reilly's Oracle Net8 Configuration and Troubleshooting by Toledo & Gennick in another thread; when you think of the cost of hypertension, p45 alone is worth the price of the book - fixes your prob MH. (I'd vote for Oracle's Net8 manual as being the least helpful of them all.)

    We all love you MH

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    Chester, England.
    Posts
    818
    Toledo and Gennick's tome is sitting in front of me on my desk less than 24 hrs after reading 'that other thread'.

    Its open at a very pretty diagram on page 3 ...


    Thanks guys

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Geneva Switzerland
    Posts
    3,142
    The flow-chart on p45 is not as pretty, but that is where the money is.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    182
    *looks up the book on Amazon ...*
    - Cookies

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Click Here to Expand Forum to Full Width