DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Difference in AIX to other unix flavors

Difference in AIX to other unix flavors

Hi experts,

I just want to know is there any other difference in AIX based unix commands to the rest of other Unix flavours with respect to Oracle.

Hi,
    in the /etc/security/limits file set "fsize=-1" for every OS user that might use oracle (exp, imp, loader etc.) including the user oracle.

If tempfiles grow up to certain limit, I set them offline, create new small tempfiles and drop the old ones. Then, if I'd simply delete old tempfiles with the rm command, filesystem would not get the free space back, as some oracle processes still hold the tempfile handles. The workaround is "echo 0 > tempfile" which resizes the tempfile to 2 bytes and returns space back to filesystem, and then "rm tempfile".

I don't know any other differences than noticed in installation manual.

Regards
    Ales
    The whole difference between a little boy and an adult man is the price of toys

As general IBM stuffs all tend to be out of standard. What? Trying to make themelves special?

Originally posted by pando
    As general IBM stuffs all tend to be out of standard. What? Trying to make themelves special?
    Yeah Pando I am not making them any special among the existing stuff but I am sitting for the first time on AIX server. Other flavors such as hp,sco,linux etc they dont have any significant nature as they are general. I would be grateful if any throw some light on my query.

All I want to know is the command stuff.

Thanking you all

I am talking about you, I was talking about IBM. AIX commands can differ by quite a lot from other UNIX flavours because IBM think they are special or smth

Thanks to all,

Still I didnt get requisite feedback.

Originally posted by pvkdba
    Still I didnt get requisite feedback.
    What do you want to know? Command stuff with respect to Oracle? What's it? Which Un*x commands do you use to administer Oracle DB? I use cp, cd, rm, mv, tail, ln, df, du, vi, more, cat, su, ls, tar, compress, uncompress, zcat, mt, sh, ksh. All they seem to behave in the same way as on other Un*xes I use. I posted all I know about it and apparently nobody else wants to add something to that. Be more specific, please, or post the question to another forum, more related to Un*x world.
    Ales
    The whole difference between a little boy and an adult man is the price of toys

Thumbs up

Meanwhile I got solved my problem

Was there a problem? How come we don't know about it?
    Tomaž
    "A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely
    foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools" - Douglas Adams

AIX Commands

Originally posted by TomazZ
    Was there a problem? How come we don't know about it?
    http://unix.ittoolbox.com/

In this way I could overcome my Query