DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: autoextend locally managed tablespaces

autoextend locally managed tablespaces

Hello,
    Can Locally managed tablespaces be autoextended ?. Is there any reason why one would not autoextend locally managed tablespaces?.
    Thanks,
    V

yes they can, go to http://tahiti.oracle.com and read up on them

and I wouldnt use them if I was short of diskspace, autoextend can be very useful but some people dont like it

Re: autoextend locally managed tablespaces

Originally posted by valetudinaria
    Hello,
    Can Locally managed tablespaces be autoextended ?. Is there any reason why one would not autoextend locally managed tablespaces?.
    Thanks,
    V
    No harm if you have enough disk space and monitoring the growth of the datafiles.
    Sanjay G.
    Oracle Certified Professional 8i, 9i.

"The degree of normality in a database is inversely proportional to that of its DBA"

sanjay, davey,
    you are saying no harm, if enough disk space.
    Can you, please, elaborate on what can be wrong when there is not enough disk space.
    Because I am doing this all the time and have no problems.
    Tomaž
    "A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely
    foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools" - Douglas Adams

OS will shoot at you.
    funky...

"I Dont Want To Follow A Path, I would Rather Go Where There Is No Path And Leave A Trail."

"Ego is the worst thing many have, try to overcome it & you will be the best, if not good, person on this earth"

Originally posted by TomazZ
    sanjay, davey,
    you are saying no harm, if enough disk space.
    Can you, please, elaborate on what can be wrong when there is not enough disk space.
    Because I am doing this all the time and have no problems.
    Well, if you do not have enough space then it won't be able to grow. You will end up with error.
    Sanjay G.
    Oracle Certified Professional 8i, 9i.

"The degree of normality in a database is inversely proportional to that of its DBA"

My personal opinion is that if your going to use autoexend on any object is to make sure you set an upper limit. It just protects the database/application from some nutter running a rouge process that unexpectedly consumes all your disk space.

Just my opinion

BTW Happy Birthday Sanjay !
    Jim
    Oracle Certified Professional
    "Build your reputation by helping other people build theirs."

"Sarcasm may be the lowest form of wit but its still funny"

Click HERE to vist my website!

Originally posted by SANJAY_G
    Well, if you do not have enough space then it won't be able to grow. You will end up with error.
    And if you don't have autoextend enabled you will end up with error as well, when object would want to grow more.
    No difference here - you have to monitor and rearrange storage timely both ways.
    Tomaž
    "A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely
    foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools" - Douglas Adams

In our shop we are supporting production databases only but not dev environment
    So never ever use autoextend on your production environment...
    but we recommend our dev DBA to use autoextend on their environment.
    What do you think Mr, Hanky?
    Giani

Originally posted by TomazZ
    And if you don't have autoextend enabled you will end up with error as well, when object would want to grow more.
    No difference here - you have to monitor and rearrange storage timely both ways.
    Suerly theres a difference, Its ok if any application fail due unable to extend...but if you set AUTOEXTEND ON with UNLIMITED option....Due some erratic application...your DISK might end up to be FULL...

So the later case will COST you much then former.

So always Limit Size(Max Size) as suggested by Jovery ( Upper Limit be Set )...

you have some monitioring tools to check up the size regularly...
    when size approching threshold limits, put alarms or mail services to send the message...the File needs to be looked into..and so.

I feel this is better approch then jus keeping AUTOEXTEND ON UNLIMITED...

Abhay.
    funky...

"I Dont Want To Follow A Path, I would Rather Go Where There Is No Path And Leave A Trail."

"Ego is the worst thing many have, try to overcome it & you will be the best, if not good, person on this earth"