DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: DB2 AS400 V5R1 - Data migration tool

DB2 AS400 V5R1 - Data migration tool

Hi,
    We are trying to migrate data from DB2 V5R1 to Oracle 8.1.7. We tried using Oracle Workbench but then Workbench does not support V5R1 of DB2 it supports only V4R5. We thought of using Transparent Gateways but thought the steps for installing the gateway is pretty tedious or in other words confusing. Can someone give me the steps to install Transparent Gateway which would help us access DB2 database or can someone suggest some tool which would help us migrate data from DB2 AS400 V5R1 to Oracle 8.1.7.

Thanks
    Meera

Amar
    "There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path."

Amar's Blog  Get Firefox!

I happend to see this site but can you give me some easy steps to install Oracle Gateway, like step 1 , step 2.

Thanks
    Meera

I would also like to know if Transparent Gateways is Supported in Oracle 8i, the version we are using is Oracle 8.1.7

Thanks
    Meera

Had it been that easy like step 1, step 2, step 3. I think you could have done it ur self.

Read some documents, do some research. What you are trying is not a day to day activity to mention in steps. Shed some tears, sweat and then when u do it you will feel proud and can brag about it.

This one needs proper planning and lots of things to take care of. You are migrating from a entirely different Database ie Db2 to Oracle. So you need to see how things will move. I have no idea about DB2 V5R1. But if i were moving from Oracle to DB2 V5R1 (just an example) i would look for the following things.

1. What would my database structure will be on the DB2 Database.

2. What would be my security structure like.

3. How would the schema migration take place.

4. How will the datatype be affected. What is the data storage concept on the new DB.

5. Oracle uses PL/SQL, what does the other DB have. How am i going to have my packages, procedures, functions. Do we need to rewrite them.

6. Other things like tables, views, indexes, groups, users, constraints, priviliges, user defined types, triggers, embeded SQL

7. Is the current application going to support the new DB or new application need to be written.

Go through the migration (transparent gateway) docs carefully step by step. Look for other possiblities. Even after migration you will have lots of things to resolve, some very obvious and others that will show up gradually.

Take help of Oracle Support Group.

And one more thing, do not attempt first on a prod DB, try it first on a test Database. Then when you are sure go for the prod migration.
    Amar
    "There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path."

Amar's Blog  Get Firefox!

Originally posted by mepancha
    I would also like to know if Transparent Gateways is Supported in Oracle 8i, the version we are using is Oracle 8.1.7

Thanks
    Meera
    yes transperent gateway is supported in 8i.Take care that same version of TGway is installed on DB2.