DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 9iAS or Websphere or WebLogic

Post 9iAS or Websphere or WebLogic

Of the three major players on the market for the application layer, can you please share with me which product you are using and whether you are happy or not with the product? Perhap even some pros/cons.
    I've been told the 3 major players are 1. 9iAS 2. Websphere 3. Weblogic.

My company will be making this choice and asked me to post this question to gather opinions.

Thank You!

Hi.

Once it's configured properly the 9iAS is pretty good, especially if you don't want to use too much of the extra crap. If all you're doing is J2EE stuff then the 9iAS Java Edition is pretty cheap too. Once you start wanting to use the extra stuff like infrastructure, portal, forms and reports services etc. it can get pretty complicated. There are lots of problems relating to differing versions of the components which makes elements incompatible. 9iAS is better than it was, but it still needs to go a long way.

One you haven't mentioned is Microsoft IIS. I've used this for a long time and despite all the security fears it's been very reliable and VERY easy to use. Based on my experiences over the last few years if I were to start a project today I would use IIS and .NET rather than any J2EE app server and Java.

Microsoft have remembered that data is the key. Most J2EE developers seem to think that databases are the thorn their sides that stop them from doing the cool things they want to do. I see J2EE as a very negative approach to data.

Remember, it's only my opinion

Cheers
    Tim...
    OCP DBA 7.3, 8, 8i, 9i, 10g, 11g
    OCA PL/SQL Developer
    Oracle ACE Director
    My website: oracle-base.com
    My blog: oracle-base.com/blog

i worked with 9iAS and we used form and report facility and i can say it's full of bugs, you will need a good DBA and developer and lots of time