DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Pinpoint thread with high CPU usage

Question Pinpoint thread with high CPU usage

Oracle 8.1.7.3 on Windows 2000 Server

My database server has two instances and dual P-III CPUs. The CPU usages sometimes is so high for so long (1/2hour to 2 hours), the Java application server connecting to it stops to respond to new requests.

To pinpoint the thread w/ high CPU usage, I was trying to join v$process, v$session, v$sqlarea, and v$sesstat (with statistic#=12) to find the threads with highest CPU usage. However, I found that the session with the value for statistic#12 is already done; its sql_text is

"begin dbms_session.reset_package; end;"

Even though when I see CPU is 70%-90% high, with Oracle.exe shows about 60%-80% high, I don't see much going on from the query. All the other sessions have pretty small values even after I reran the query several times.

I know SMON is not doing much work based on the metalink article Note:61997.1.

Can someone suggest how to find the thread that is consuming high CPU usage AT THE CURRENT MOMENT?

Thanks,
    Last edited by a128; 06-19-2003 at 11:31 PM.

Re: Pinpoint thread with high CPU usage

Originally posted by a128
    Oracle 8.1.7.3 on Windows 2000 Server
    Can someone suggest how to find the thread that is consuming high CPU usage AT THE CURRENT MOMENT?
    I think Win Resource Kit can do for you.

Please go through the site for the Bottleneck/CPU useage of threads explained briefly.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000...d_ana_tepn.asp

Abhay.
    funky...

"I Dont Want To Follow A Path, I would Rather Go Where There Is No Path And Leave A Trail."

"Ego is the worst thing many have, try to overcome it & you will be the best, if not good, person on this earth"