DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: PeopleSoft rejected to Oracle, How is Larry? why i feel.....

Hybrid View

Unhappy PeopleSoft rejected to Oracle, How is Larry? why i feel.....

iS there anything to be shamed coz PeopleSoft rejected Oracle? WhY i'm feeling something different kind??

Do you know about the new offer made by Oracle? I think Larry is serious this time.
    BTW, It's business, no feelings involved. Either you win or you lose, that's it.
    Sanjay G.
    Oracle Certified Professional 8i, 9i.

"The degree of normality in a database is inversely proportional to that of its DBA"

Larry can't 'win' and he knows it. But the game is not buying peoplesoft, it's unsettling peoplesoft customers so they run to Larry.

Business is business & Larry is playing the game.

Rumors that IBM is BIDING on PeopleSoft after Larry failed to acquire it...
    funky...

"I Dont Want To Follow A Path, I would Rather Go Where There Is No Path And Leave A Trail."

"Ego is the worst thing many have, try to overcome it & you will be the best, if not good, person on this earth"

I would have thought the answer was rather more obvious.
    Oracle is hemorrhaging users to Microsoft's SQL Server, which is now not only faster, but much, much cheaper than Oracle. And there's an independent study to show that SQL Server DBAs are about 3x more productive than their more costly Oracle counterparts.

This is just Larry's attempt to gain control of a major vendor who based their core product on SQL Server back in 1997.
    If he gets hold of it, guess which product will replace it at the core of Peoplesoft's offerings?

And guess how many customers will run from Peoplesoft as a result ?
    No wonder they're not recommending the Oracle takeover, they would become Larry's whipping boy just because Oracle can't compete with Microsoft.

If you doubt this, read Craig Conway's letter at :
    http://www.peoplesoft.co.uk/corp/en/...waysletter.jsp

Quote :
    "Five days following our announcement "[of the acquisition of J D Edwards]" we learned of a hostile bid by Oracle Corporation to acquire PeopleSoft. Incredibly, Oracle made it clear their intention was to discontinue all PeopleSoft products, ultimately forcing customers to convert to Oracle's applications and database. As you know, this would cost each organisation tens of millions of dollars."
    Unquote.

Maybe Microsoft should make a bid too - at least PeopleSoft's customer base would be happier.

Bill's got Larry on the run with SQL Server 2000 and every DBA in the business knows it, whichever "side" they're on. Businesses simply can't afford to spend mega bucks on armies of Oracle consultants like they did during the dot-com boom. The party's over for them, and for Oracle. You sign away a few hundred grand these days when there's a cheaper alternative and you'd better have a good explanation as to why, or find another job pronto.

In a recession, the better, cheaper product wins every time, it's a no brainer. Welcome to the recession.
    Last edited by jonreade; 07-16-2003 at 09:39 AM.

I think you need to go scurry away and reboot your server.
    Jeff Hunter

Wow, that advanced the discussion.
    Oracle DBA, perchance?
    Or just another misfit who dislikes Microsoft's products on principle because they're successful ?

Originally posted by jonreade
    Or just another misfit who dislikes Microsoft's products on principle because they're successful ?
    Are they? I must've missed something...
    Tomaž
    "A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely
    foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools" - Douglas Adams

They do operating systems and web broswers too, you know...

Yeah, those new releases have a really nice feature called "Automatically reboot on system failure". If you have this enabled you will not get any blue screens anymore - it will just restart on failure.
    Should we rather call it "rebooting system"?

BTW, with "are they?" I was refering to the "successful" part.
    Tomaž
    "A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely
    foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools" - Douglas Adams