DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: lob data replcation

lob data replcation

Hi,
    I am planning to setup a single master- read only snapshot replcation where i will be using LOBs (BLOB, CLOB) data types. We already have a single master site and 21 read-only snapshot sites running on Oracle 8.1.5/NT boxes.
    I am wondering whether i would hit any kind of problem in doing so. Any kind of input will be a great help for me.

Thanks
    Raj Kishore
    Oracle DBA

I have not had any problems with LOB datatype replication. LONG and LONG RAW datatypes are not supported and will NOT replicate but, LOB's
    work well with both MULTIMASTER and SNAPSHOT replication.

Gregg

Hi Gregg,
    Thanks for the reply. My question is how can you create a snapshot on a table which has a LOB column. As i know i have to execute the command e.g.;
    create snapshot as
    select * from @;
    but it will not be accepted because of LOB column limitation.
    Any help please?

Thanks
    Raj Kishore
    Oracle DBA

I know under Oracle 8 you couldn't snapshot LOB data, I'm not sure for 8i. I know you can replication via async and sync rep, but not sure about snapshots. You could snapshot WITHOUT the LOB columns, depending if they are required in the snapshot or not.

Cheers,

(Another) Greg.
    OCP 8i, 9i DBA
    Brisbane Australia

Absolutely it is possible to have snapshots with LOB columns both in 8.1.6 and 8.1.7 and i don't have idea in 8.1.5.
    When u are using windows why don't u use the Replication administration to create groups both on Master and snapshot site.