DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: error connecting to database from forms 6i

DB1 =
    (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = sori)(PORT = 1521))
    )
    (CONNECT_DATA =
    (SERVICE_NAME = db1)
    )
    )

How did you come up with TEST?

Again this gives me packet writer failure error.

db_name="db1"
    db_domain=local
    service_name=db1.local
    instancename=db1

No such thing as instancename. Is that a typo on your part, or is that inside your init.ora file? instance_name, not instancename.

Forget local and world. Those are so unnecessary. Don't even need domain name (more than likely, in your case). One name/word is all it takes. db_name of db1. tnsnames.ora entry of DB1 = (like the last post). It's easy, really.

Can you connect with SQL*Plus in the RDBMS version of it? What are you using for Oracle Net/Net 8 configuration files there? If they work there, they work everywhere. Simply copy them to the corresponding place for Forms. Or, set TNS_ADMIN environment variable, pointing it to the version that works.

hi stecal,

Thanks for your concern.

I installed oracle forms 6i in another machine(which has 9i lite installed in it) and copied the tnsnames.ora of lite into net80/admin.I am able to connect from forms without any problem.But when I login via sqlplus, the sreen appears and closes immediately without any error messages.

But packet writer failure error occurs when I try to login thro forms or sqlplus in the other machine.

Forms 6i is having 8.0.6version of sqlplus/net8 and has it got anything to do with this connection problem.

please clarify.
    thanks and regards