DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: ORA-01242: data files suffered media failure: database in NOARCHIVELOG mode

ORA-01242: data files suffered media failure: database in NOARCHIVELOG mode

Hi, I'm getting following error messages in my database log file. This server has 8.1.7.4 database on Windows 2000 server.

ORA-01242: data files suffered media failure: database in NOARCHIVELOG mode
    ORA-01116: error in opening database file 101
    ORA-01110: data file 101: d:\oradata\prodata\tes.dbf
    ORA-27041: unable to open file
    OSD-04002: unable to open file
    O/S-Error: (OS 1450) Insufficient system resource exist to complete the requested service.

Just happened out of nowhere. When I restart the server, it looks like it's working fine, but what are these error means? Is there a Hardware problem? Network problem? or System itself has problem?

If you have created a new database recently, or have changed the init to increase the SGA you might run into a situation where the server does not have enough physical memory and virtual memory to open the database. Go to task manager and look at how much free memory you have and then look at the requirements of your SGA and see and much you need. You can always shrink the SGA a little to get the database started, or you can look for services that you can stop that you don't need, like Apache if you aren't using it, or you can just add memory.

If you are still having problem post your total physical ram, virtual ram and amount of memory used and your init file for your database.

I should have added that you don't seem to have a media failure but a lack of memory in your server. Hence the previous advice, I could still be wrong though.

How often do you reboot this server?
    One, who thinks that the other one who thinks that know and does not know, does not know either!

Protected/Encrypted disk?

Had a similar problem. My trace files were full of ORA-01242 errors. Solved by setting DISK_ASYNCH_IO=FALSE. Probably because of SafeGuard Easy, asynchronous IOs did not work. DBCA returned error messages like ORA-03113 and ORA-03114

Quote Originally Posted by slejf
    Had a similar problem. My trace files were full of ORA-01242 errors. Solved by setting DISK_ASYNCH_IO=FALSE. Probably because of SafeGuard Easy, asynchronous IOs did not work. DBCA returned error messages like ORA-03113 and ORA-03114
    Did you notice that this post was from 2003?
    I'm guessing that the issue was reolved.