DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Oracle to SQL Server on Solaris

Oracle to SQL Server on Solaris

Hi Friends

I have Oracle 8i on Sun Solaris and SQL Server on Windows 2000. I need to connect to SQL Server from oracle 8i. What ODBC driver do I need in Sun Solaris ro achieve this?
    Agasimani
    OCP(10g/9i/8i/8)

I think its Oracle ODBC. Basically we did this from 9i but I guess the procedure is the same. Create a HS by running caths.sql. Setup a dblink and you're done. We did have some issues by refering the column names of the tables in the SQL DB, but resolved them by giving quotes.
    Vinit

Thanks Vinit for your prompt reply.

Is Oracle ODBC driver installed by default on Sun Solaris? How can I check if it is installed or not? Do you know any links for docs on this issue?

Any help is highly appreciated.
    Agasimani
    OCP(10g/9i/8i/8)

Originally posted by agasimani
    Thanks Vinit for your prompt reply.

Is Oracle ODBC driver installed by default on Sun Solaris? How can I check if it is installed or not? Do you know any links for docs on this issue?

Any help is highly appreciated.
    Hi !
    We have had exactly the same need.
    Oracle database 8.1.7 on Solaris 2.8 needs to retrieve datas from SqlServer 2000 on other server.
    For this, we have to use an ODBC driver from DataDirect.
    Oracle's ODBC drivers don't work for this purpose.
    We've also tried the Oracle Transparent Gateway but transparent Gateway for SQLServer on Solaris DOESN NOT exist ...

So we finally use the DataDirect ODBC driver wich work fine (we have to buy it separatly). It was quiet easy to install and use. Here are the steps to follow :
    1) install the Datadirect ODBC driver (we can use the download trial).
    2) configure the driver (modify the odbc.ini file of the driver)
    3) configure the Oracle HS files and Net8 files (tnsnames.ora, listener.ora and $ORACLE_HOME/hs/admin/inithsodbc.ora file.
    4) create a database link on the Oracle database.

The only problem that persists is that the database link on Oracle can not see the NCHAR and NVARCHAR datatype columns on SQLServer (these columns do not appear at all when you retrieve them). So we create views on the SQLServer side to convert these kind of columns (by the use of CAST function).

Tell me if you need more accurate informations about the configuration of the files.

Hope this help !

Helene

Links that could help you :

Metalink Note:115098.1 : QUICK START GUIDE: UNIX - Generic Connectivity using ODBC

Thank you very much Helene for your timely help.

I will try DataDirect trial version.
    Agasimani
    OCP(10g/9i/8i/8)