DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: i/o intensive oracle database

Hybrid View

i/o intensive oracle database

what exactly do you look for when determining if a database is i/o intensive? need help getting a better understand of what i/o basically means etc thanks!

Hi...

I/O Intensive means, the Read Write process of the Oracle Datafiles in HDD, you can monitor this activity by using OS utility, if it is in Unix u can use IOSTAT, find out which HDD is having IO process, then look at the contents of the hdd, after that you can try to spread the contents to another HDD to give load ballancing and faster response to the application, this is part of The Oracle Performance Tuning...

TIA
    Jeram
    Oracle DBA

For Datafile I/O Statistics, you can refer V$FILESTAT joined with V$DATAFILE. Columns from v$filestat useful are phyrds (No of physical reads done), phywrts (No of physical writes done) After startup of database.
    This is vast topic to discuss, you can mainly concentrate on full table scans. You can create index after checking full table scans, and reduce # of full table scans, depends on your application type (DSS or OLTP).

Have a nice time,

Dilip Patel
    OCP 8i

Catch me online at Yahoo: ddpatel256

Re: i/o intensive oracle database

Originally posted by imose
    what exactly do you look for when determining if a database is i/o intensive? need help getting a better understand of what i/o basically means etc thanks!
    I stands for input, it is you write opertation.
    O stands for out put, it stands for read operations.

IO can be disk IO or memory IO.

And database itself is not IO intensive its the application thats IO intensive. So look at your application if you see that lots of IO is taking place.

Read some Tuning Manuals.
    Amar
    "There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path."

Amar's Blog  Get Firefox!