DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Archive log

Archive log

Hi All,
    My database is running in archive log mode. When ever i shutdown and restart my database can i delete the archive files. Will this have any implication during recovery.

Thanks,

The correct way should be to backup your datafiles, backup the archivelogs and then delete them.
    It depends on how current your backedup datafiles are while recovering.

HTH
    Sanjay G.
    Oracle Certified Professional 8i, 9i.

"The degree of normality in a database is inversely proportional to that of its DBA"

Always better to backup the logs before deleting. Yes, you may not be able to perform complete recovery without the arch logs.
    Secondly do you take any backups ? (cold/hot).
    Vinit

Thanks!

Hi,
    The System is backed up using Veritas backup Exec. Using the veritas oracle agent all the datafiles and archive log files are backed up. Daily evening i will take an export dump ..without shutting down the database.

Can i copy all the existing archive files to an external harddisk and delete the archive files.

Thanks,

Originally posted by castlerock
    Daily evening i will take an export dump ..
    What's the purpose of daily exports?
    If you are taking daily hotbackup and backing up the archive files. You should be fine. Do preform tests with your recovery procedure.
    Sanjay G.

"The degree of normality in a database is inversely proportional to that of its DBA"

When u are using Veritas Why don't u make script to delete the archivelogs once they successfully copied to tape or hard disk.In my backup up script the veritas will take care of backing up the archive log files and also deleting them.To reduce the MTTR keep atleast a week archive logs in a seperate folder on the hard disk.

Hi,
    I have 300 users each user has 48 tables and 8 views.... if any one of the user looses some information in one or many tables. I will import the information from the latest export dump.

What is the Perfrom test??? as of now i dont have any recovery procedures. If you have any recovery procedure? can you send it to me.

Thanks,

Hi akhadar,

How to delete the archive log files using veritas after backing up to tape drive???

Many Thanks,

Originally posted by castlerock
    What is the Perfrom test??? as of now i dont have any recovery procedures. If you have any recovery procedure? can you send it to me.

Thanks,
    The test to perform recovery. You can use a saperate machine to try recover database from your backup. You can also simulate the recovery scenarios like missing datafiles, missing redo log files missing constrol files etc.

This test is to make sure whatever you are backing up is valid and usable backups.
    Sanjay G.