DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Required Urgent Help !! - Oracle Clone

Exclamation Required Urgent Help !! - Oracle Clone

Hi,

We currenlty have a HP-UX L Class box as a spare machine.

We are planning to purchase a Sun Solaris Box which will run Oracle 9i as the database for our Baan IV application.

We are interested to know if it is possible to clone the database from the solaris environment to the hp environment and then run the hp box as a hot-standby with regular archived log updates.

I need this information as the earliest as we need to make a decesion on whether to buy the Sun machine or not.

Thank you in advance.

Regards
    Max

http://download-west.oracle.com/docs...iderations.htm

i quote

The hardware and operating system architecture on the primary and standby locations must be the same. For example, this means a Data Guard configuration with a primary database on a 32-bit Sun system must have a standby database that is configured on a 32-bit Sun system. Similarly, a primary database on a 64-bit HP-UX system must be configured with a standby database on a 64-bit HP-UX system, and a primary database on a 32-bit Linux on Intel system must be configured with a standby database on a 32-bit Linux on Intel system, and so forth.

(that took 2 mins to search)

More Input Added

Hi,

Thank you for the search and the reply. I have already scanned the posts and the web for a conclusive answer, but I did not get a negative yet on the multiOS scenario if done manually without data gaurd.

Let me explain.

If we clone the database thru use of svrmgr command, trace the controlfile, copy the datafiles, keep the blocksize of both OS same, is it possible to clone it ? We will not use any oracle provided replication feature.

Any response appreciated, thank you

Regards
    Max

Re: More Input Added

Originally posted by maximus
    Hi,

Thank you for the search and the reply. I have already scanned the posts and the web for a conclusive answer, but I did not get a negative yet on the multiOS scenario if done manually without data gaurd.

Let me explain.

If we clone the database thru use of svrmgr command, trace the controlfile, copy the datafiles, keep the blocksize of both OS same, is it possible to clone it ? We will not use any oracle provided replication feature.

Any response appreciated, thank you

Regards
    Max
    No, you already have your answer RTFL (read the friendy link!)

you can create a copy of your db on the other server using export/import but you won't be able to run it as a hot standby
    I'm stmontgo and I approve of this message

Post Thank you for the response

This ain't gonna work then, we need to re-work our systems. Thank you guys.

Regards
    Max