DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Oracle's "Hostile Takeover", your thoughts.

Oracle's "Hostile Takeover", your thoughts.

Just wanted to see what everyone thinks about this topic.
    Let's hear you biased opinions.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/ptech/0...war/index.html

MH
    I remember when this place was cool.

"It was like Larry was driving by, spotted a really nice wedding in progress and crashed it with a shotgun and said, 'This bride is going to marry me' at the end of the barrel."
    - Peoplesoft Chief Craig Conway.
    Sanjay G.
    Oracle Certified Professional 8i, 9i.

"The degree of normality in a database is inversely proportional to that of its DBA"

Larry is one pushy f**ker...
    But hey it's the law of the jungle, ain't it???
    But this is pure poison pill strategy, I think
    Tarry Singh
    I'm a JOLE(JavaOracleLinuxEnthusiast)
    TarryBlogging
    --- Everything was meant to be---

Here is a story...

Once upon a time on a train from Delhi to Mumbai there were three passangers, one young teenager boy, one teenager girl and one old man. On the journey the the boy and the girl start talking to each other and get to know each other and soon become friends.

By the time they reach Mumbai they become so close to each other that while getting down they kiss each other. The old man just looks and thinks that these young people have no manner these days.

From the boy's point of view it was the right thing to do as they have become so close. But from old man's point of view this was not necessary and shameless.

Now had the girl kissed the old man instead of the boy, would the old man have refused. No never.

The thing is, for one it may be the right thing but for other it may be wrong.

So for Larry it is the right thing, but for Craig Conway its wrong.

Had today Craig Conway been the CEO of Oracle and Larry as Chief of Peoplesoft, that statement would have been given by Larry against Craig Conway.

"It was like Craig was driving by, spotted a really nice wedding in progress and crashed it with a shotgun and said, 'This bride is going to marry me' at the end of the barrel."
    - Peoplesoft Chief Larry Ellison.
    One man's nightmare is another man's dream
    Amar
    "There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path."

Amar's Blog  Get Firefox!

First I thought Oracle was not serious about the takeover, they were just trying to hurt the PSFT/JDE merger, which would make the combined company #2 after SAP in ERP. At least they are succeeding in hurting the business of PSFT.

But today they raised the offer to 19+ per share ( 6 something bn ) so seems like they are serious. Also, this is the first time Oracle is trying to buy something if I am not wrong. Mostly they relied on their internal growth. The personal bashing has been fun to watch though.

I can't believe there is no law against killing the product just because someone has more money. That's so bad for the customers. Capitalists.

Oracle was built on technology bought from other people. Java, Apache, Toplink, etc.
    Jeff Hunter

Why such a fuss about this "hostile takover"? Everytime I start Oracle on my laptop it performs an unshameless takover over my machine. I consider this takover to be quite "hostile", yet somehow this fact doesn't seem to get any publicity whatsoever....
    Jurij Modic
    ASCII a stupid question, get a stupid ANSI
    24 hours in a day .... 24 beer in a case .... coincidence?

Forget the machine, what about hostile takeover of your life.
    Tomaž
    "A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely
    foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools" - Douglas Adams

Well, the older I'm getting, the easier it is for me to reject those "hostile life-takowers" by Oracle.....
    Jurij Modic
    ASCII a stupid question, get a stupid ANSI
    24 hours in a day .... 24 beer in a case .... coincidence?