DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: coalescing free space

coalescing free space

hi

the manuals say if the extent sizes of the tablespace are all uniform , there is no need to coalesce.

but even if the allocation type is uniform , still there must be some free space which could be left in a tablespace which can be considered for coalesing . if i am not wrong one could require coalescing for uniform managed tablespaces.

thanks

Re: coalescing free space

Originally posted by ser
    hi

the manuals say if the extent sizes of the tablespace are all uniform , there is no need to coalesce.

but even if the allocation type is uniform , still there must be some free space which could be left in a tablespace which can be considered for coalesing . if i am not wrong one could require coalescing for uniform managed tablespaces.

thanks
    I dont think Coalace will do any help for LMT & Uniform Extents.
    funky...

"I Dont Want To Follow A Path, I would Rather Go Where There Is No Path And Leave A Trail."

"Ego is the worst thing many have, try to overcome it & you will be the best, if not good, person on this earth"

Re: coalescing free space

Originally posted by ser
    hi

thanks
    Coalesce is nothing but combining of free extents into one large big free extent. That would be true for DMT. But in uniform LMT this won't count.

Even if free space is left so what, extents need not be contiguous, they can be any where, so whats the point of doing a coalesce.

And more ever do not take coalesce as a physical reorganisation of blocks. In LMT's the space usage information is maintained in BITMAPS
    (1's and 0's where 0's represent free space). Say a table occupying three extents is dropped that means three 1's will be replaced by 3 0's thats all.

HTH
    Last edited by adewri; 05-31-2003 at 08:09 AM.
    Amar
    "There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path."

Amar's Blog  Get Firefox!