DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: RMAN-Recover Failure

Thanks for the info.
    The thing that confused me mostly was the existence of two databases in the same machine. Two instances I've seen but two databases.

//Hamhey

Originally posted by hamhey
    Thanks for the info.
    The thing that confused me mostly was the existence of two databases in the same machine. Two instances I've seen but two databases.

//Hamhey
    I think you're getting confused by Oracle and SQL Server.
    In Oracle 1 Database = 1 Instance, unless using OPS.
    Vinit

I thinks get the point.
    My question is when you create a new instance in the same machine (or database) do I have to include the system file and rollback segment in the script to generate the database. Or the new instance uses the same system file and rollback segments.

//Hamhey

Read this...

Oracle9i Concepts
    Amar
    "There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path."

Amar's Blog  Get Firefox!

Thanks for the url you are refering to.

I just wonder (has not specified in the documentation) the system tablespace for rcat database.
    When I create a small database like rcat do I have to create a separate system tablespace or can I skipp the creation of system tablespace including all the views and data dictionary again. The target database has the same info, if so do I have to the target database up and runnig all the time for using the data dictionary and views and all the information and what happens to the information stored in the datafiles of system tablespace.
    The question was generally asked.
    My problem today is if I cant use the same size of system tablespace of the target database and wonder how mush disk space AS MINIMUM do I need for system tablespace for 8.1.5 version to get the required function of system tablespace for rcat.

//Hamhey

I seems you have never created a database before otherwise you would never ask such a question. Without system tablespace you cannot have a database in Oracle. A tablespace can belong to only and only one database.

Take a print out of Concepts Guide, take a leave for a week read it throughly. Without knowing the concepts i wonder how you going to backup and recover your PROD database. This is no joke, but a serious advice for you if you want to keep your job as a DBA. And do not forget to read the Backup and Recovery Concepts guide as well.

Download this documentation
    http://download.oracle.com/docs/cds/F49540_01.zip
    or browse online
    http://download-east.oracle.com/docs.../DOC/index.htm

and read them.

HTH
    Amar
    "There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path."

Amar's Blog  Get Firefox!