DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Execute O/s command from Oracle

Execute O/s command from Oracle

Hi All,
    I want to know is there any dbms package available in Oracle to execute o/s commands from database procedures.

Samahit

I think you'll need to create a java or c external procedure

http://support.oracle.co.uk/metalink...&p_id=199223.1

Regards
    Jim
    Oracle Certified Professional
    "Build your reputation by helping other people build theirs."

"Sarcasm may be the lowest form of wit but its still funny"

Click HERE to vist my website!

Did a search on google and found this at http://www.experts-exchange.com/Data..._20433300.html

"Host commands are not directly supported in PL\SQL stored procedures. But there are three work-arounds that you can use to do host commands from PL\SQL:

1. external procedures
    2. DBMS_PIPE / daemon
    3. Java.

All of these are documented in various places in Oracle's documentation. I think the Java approach is the one that Oracle recommends these days and is the one likely to be supported the best going forward.

I have used the DBMS_PIPE / daemon combination to do host commands with various Oracle databases from version 7.3 - 8.1.7. That has worked very well for me. To use that approach you need a C-compiler to compile the source code that Oracle distributes for the "daemon" utility. Then you run that on the server. It opens a connection to your dataabse and waits for commands to be passed to it via DBMS_PIPE. When it receives a command, it executes it in the O/S and returns success/fail to PL\SQL. For more information on this, check your Oracle documentation for PL\SQL Supplied packages: DBMS_PIPE. "

From personal expereince it is easy enough to do it through a sql script in sql plus but if it does have to be a stored procedure so you can run it as a database job then one of the workarounds listed will have to be considered.

Hope this is of some help to you. I was sure I'd read it could be done - guess I just thought I had!.....

Mark
    --------------------------------
    Mark Backhouse
    Oracle Database Administrator
    Great North Eastern Railways
    York
    UK