DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Convert Datatype

Convert Datatype

Hi, I need help from u.

I want to convert a data type of one column in a Table. Currently that column is “NUMBER (6)” to be converted as “VARCHAR2 (6)”. Which is the best way u suggests doing it.

Details abt Table
    Total No of Records: 50,000
    Total No of Columns: 25
    Only Varchar, Char, Number & Date data types in that table.

Expecting ur reply

Safedba

If the column is empty then you can directly use ALTER TABLE MODIFY command. Otherwise you will have to create a new table and insrt the data.

HTH
    Sanjay G.
    Oracle Certified Professional 8i, 9i.

"The degree of normality in a database is inversely proportional to that of its DBA"

Mr.Sanjay ,

The column is not empty and moreover this is master table linked with two detail tables.
    Actually i am looking, is there any way to covert datatype while doing Export or Import.

I don;t think you can do it by export/import.
    The work around could be.

1. Create a temp table as
    create table as select * from orig_table

2. Truncate or delete all rows from orig table.

3. Use alter table modify to change datatype.

4. Re-insert all rows into orig table.

5. drop the temp table.

You may need to disable the RI constraints before deleting. You can enable them again after inserting back the rows.

HTH
    Sanjay G.
    Oracle Certified Professional 8i, 9i.

"The degree of normality in a database is inversely proportional to that of its DBA"

How about

- adding new_column with datatype VARCHAR2(6)
    - UPDATE TABLE SEt new_column = TO_CHAR(old_column)
    - droping old_column from your table
    Jurij Modic
    ASCII a stupid question, get a stupid ANSI
    24 hours in a day .... 24 beer in a case .... coincidence?

Thanks to Sanjay & jmodic.

jmodic, my database version is 8.0.6.

Originally posted by safedba
    jmodic, my database version is 8.0.6.
    GENERAL RULE: each and every technical question in this forums should have at least OS and Oracle release specified.
    GENERAL RULE: each and every technical question in this forums should have at least OS and Oracle release specified.
    Jurij Modic
    ASCII a stupid question, get a stupid ANSI
    24 hours in a day .... 24 beer in a case .... coincidence?