DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keep PRODUCTION & DEVELOPMENT site in SYNC

Keep PRODUCTION & DEVELOPMENT site in SYNC

Hi Friends,
    I just have problem here.
    As we all know that we try our best to keep our dev and production in sync most of the time.Right now i am facing a very serious problem as we have 3 DB instance based on 3 countries i.e US,GERMANY AND UK..
    Any new release or bug fixes that happen are applied to production and development, but some time we forget to apply to dev site, so when any new bug fix or new release is to be done and developers try access tables in dev site and find that the change is there in production but not in dev, then we need to know that name of the patch and apply it to dev.This process is very time consuming.Can you guys suggest an appropriate and most efficient way of keep both dev and prod in sync.I.E..when ever any changes are applied to production its should be implemeted on develpment site also.

I know oracle has a replication option, But can u GURU'S suggest a more lighter way of doing this sync job with less admin and hassel

ORACLE VERSION=8.1.7
    PLATFORM=SOLARIS 2.7

regards
    anandkl
    anandkl

If you are talking about patches, then you need to apply them both individually on both PROD as well as DEV DB. Patches cannot be replicated using replication.

Its you job to maintain the DB and forgetting to apply a PATCH is not a good thing to do, i would get you fired if i were your boss.

And better maintain a versioning of application and the database which will keep the record of all the patches and bug fixes applied.
    Last edited by adewri; 05-29-2003 at 06:19 AM.
    Amar
    "There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path."

Amar's Blog  Get Firefox!

Are you suggesting keepping the data in sync or the software...?

If you mean software look for some Cluster software like Veritas Enterprise Cluster and ask them if you can replicate the changes to Oracle online (dout if but Veritas is quite clever so who knows)ç

But the proper way is keep versioning information for all your sites

supposedly the new version of eneterprise manager on it's way will keep track of your patches and such and will intelligently connect to the the oracle support systems to determine if you are up to date and will remind you when you need to apply a new patch.

steve
    I'm stmontgo and I approve of this message

I wonder how OEM can keep patch details for tiny patches like substituing a *.o or *.so or a shell script

Probably with PVCS built-in hehe

Originally posted by pando
    I wonder how OEM can keep patch details for tiny patches like substituing a *.o or *.so or a shell script

Probably with PVCS built-in hehe
    I think he is talking about the Oracle Change Manager. I haven't used it though the guide says it can do that.
    Amar
    "There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path."

Amar's Blog  Get Firefox!

Hi Friends,
    Please do not mistake patches to the patches what oracle provides.
    What i meant by patches here is, say we want to provide a new feature to our users and create some new tables or say we alter the table to add a new column, in this case we create patches, i.e. its just simple files with all the DDL's and DML's and apply it to database so that when user selects the new feature, the data comes from new tables.

So these patches have to be applied in both Dev and production.

please let me know if you have understand what i really meant.

patches here are not the patches what oracle provides, its just a plain file where we have all the DDL,DML and apply that to the DATABASE

REGARDS
    ANANDKL
    anandkl

change control

suck it up and buy sourcesafe from the evil empire (MS) or some similar product

also the patch feature is yet to be released and will likely be forthcoming in the next EM release later this summer.

From what I understand it will ping the support site, determine from that your hardware, licensed prodcuts etc and recommend avilable patches.
    I'm stmontgo and I approve of this message

omg dont tell mean you want to propagate your application releases from dev to prod...?

that´s unacceptable!!!!!

and forget that

is

UNACCEPTABLE!!!

I am working as production DBA right now and most of days I have to release probably 10 to 15 new application patches. First pre-production when it´s tested then production. What if you propaget something which does not work?

Hi Pando,
    We will not apply things which would not work in production.We first do the QA and when everything is working fine then we move it into production.But sometimes due to tight schedule we forget to apply the same to dev and due to this reason developers will not be able to see few changes which are in production but not in dev.

Even we do close to 5-6 application patch release on production.Ours is a 24/7 PRODUCTION DB.

regards
    anandkl

regards
    anandkl
    anandkl