DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: ora 1034

ora 1034

A user name has set up on a unix system and also in the database. I need the import utility. I set ORACLE_HOME and imp in the .cshrc file. But after I type 'imp', and type username and password, I got error message 'IMP-00058: ORACLE error 1034 encountered ...'.

Could anyone tell me what is the problem?

Thanks,

Lisa

Is the database started?

Also is the OS user a member of a group that can access the Oracle instance?

HTH
    Jim
    Oracle Certified Professional
    "Build your reputation by helping other people build theirs."

"Sarcasm may be the lowest form of wit but its still funny"

Click HERE to vist my website!

yes, database is up and running. What group the user has to be to access the instance?

Can anybody help me with this? Which group the OS user has to be in to access the import and export utility?

Thanks,

Lisa

What you need to set is ORACLE_SID and not just ORACLE_HOME. ORACLE_HOME should get derived from ORACLE_SID.

Or, use uid/pwd@db connection method provided you have configured listener.
    svk

Originally posted by lgaorcl
    Can anybody help me with this? Which group the OS user has to be in to access the import and export utility?

Thanks,

Lisa
    The user need not be in a particular group in order to use export and import. Make sure that your Oracle environment is set properly. You can copy it from .profile of oracle user.

HTH
    Sanjay G.
    Oracle Certified Professional 8i, 9i.

"The degree of normality in a database is inversely proportional to that of its DBA"

Originally posted by svk
    What you need to set is ORACLE_SID and not just ORACLE_HOME. ORACLE_HOME should get derived from ORACLE_SID.
    Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you are trying to say here, but that is baloney. How on earth is ORACLE_HOME derived from ORACLE_SID????

Originally posted by stecal
    Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you are trying to say here, but that is baloney. How on earth is ORACLE_HOME derived from ORACLE_SID????

ORACLE_HOME should be derived from ORACLE_SID via running oraenv script which is using info from oratab file usually located at /etc.
    It is done so you can work with multiple version of Oracle on same server and still being able to have right env for the right database.
    One, who thinks that the other one who thinks that know and does not know, does not know either!