DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Grid computing on Oracle Server?

Grid computing on Oracle Server?

Hello,

Just wondering...

There are many servers in this world that contain multiple cpu's which are idle most of the time. Even if the db is working at optimal performance.

I think that's a waste of money.

On my laptop and desktop at home, I run Grid Computing software. These tools gather data from a server, compute difficult formula's and return the result to that original server. These projects are supported by millions of people all over the world. They are here to help to find a cure for diseases like cancer and aids. Even a special project to fight Anthrax was supported when Saddam was threatening the world with chemical warfare...

The important fact is that these tools only use cpu-time thats not being used at the moment. They don't burden the other applications running. If Oracle uses all cpu's to the fullest, these tools stop until there's cpu-time left by the system.

Does anybody use these clients on a Oracle server? Do you think it's wise to do so? I can understand that there's a certain risk, but watching multiple cpu's asleep while they could do some good is a pitty.

I curious about your opinions...

Have a nice day!
    Erik

Fight cancer with United Devices: http://www.ud.com
    Fight AIDS at home: http://www.fightaidsathome.com/
    Locate E.T.: http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
    Last edited by efrijters; 05-28-2003 at 06:13 AM.
    An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing.

pardon my candor but you are out of your freakin mind if you run these applications on your production system.

who supports them? will the developers of these programs pay you SLA penalties when the app blows up and chews up the cpu?
    Last edited by stmontgo; 05-28-2003 at 06:24 AM.
    I'm stmontgo and I approve of this message

It was only a question...

And, wasn't it Ralph Waldo Emerson that said "Always do what you are afraid of doing" ?

I'm only curious if there are DBA'ers out there that are using these tools on Oracle servers and what their experience is...

And if there aren't any, I would be happy if I could persuate someone on this site to start using them on a pc at home. After all, we all make a difference...

Erik
    Last edited by efrijters; 05-28-2003 at 06:45 AM.
    An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing.

not trying to douse any philanthropic flames burning, just that your production environment should be locked down and only running essential db tools.

Perhaps moderator this is better suited as an of topic discussion.
    I'm stmontgo and I approve of this message

And it was ML King Jr. that said

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and consciencious stupidity."
    Sure, you can run these apps on your Oracle Servers. I'd love to be there when you ask your management for more CPU because the apps are slow...
    Jeff Hunter

. . . and I'm sure you'll have a really FUN time with the auditors!

Originally posted by efrijters
    It was only a question...

Erik
    I wud say better giv a TRY...
    funky...

"I Dont Want To Follow A Path, I would Rather Go Where There Is No Path And Leave A Trail."

"Ego is the worst thing many have, try to overcome it & you will be the best, if not good, person on this earth"