DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: weeder exam

Question weeder exam

Ok so after 8 months of study on this insane thing called Oracle I must now attempt to take the certs. So which one is the best to take first? I have read that the SQL portion is a "weeder exam" and should start with the second cert, is this wise?
    I would love feed back from any and all that took the 8i certs in the last year. I would especially like feed back from all of those who even after any so called "training" still had very little clue what the hell was going on since we all know I will learn more in two weeks of on the job work than I could have in 8 months of school.

I think these certs are crap and it really makes me mad at the way the questions are written "to confuse" (like the actual information needed to know in being a DBA is not hard enough? we have to have Larry's version of "hazing"? WTF?) but regardless what I think I must have them in order to get past any given HR person so any info in regards to which test to take first would be helpful.

You want a feel-good exam? Do Network Admin first. You want to maintain self-respect and be able to look at yourself in the mirror every morning? Take SQL-PL/SQL first. Hazing? Does the phrase "spec and dump" mean anything to you?

If your experience as a DBA will not get you past an HR person, then i would doubt that an OCP certificate will.

There are roughly a buzzilion threads and posts on this forum addressing the market value of OCP. Have a look and draw your own conclusions.
    David Knight
    OCP DBA 8i, 9i, 10g

feel good? um no... just a test over the information , just straight direct questions will do, instead there is constant trickery I find it rude (as I have found so many people in this line of work at this point)

I have zero experience as a DBA other than 8 months of OCP so I guess I'll have to work hard and wait a while before I can be this rude to the people that post here.

Why is it so many in IT especially among the "oracle arts" are so angry all the time? Does Larry E. require it for my cert?

For half the time I was in class the instructor was angry (all while he boasted making over 250K as a consultant on the side)

I really only want to try and finish this to complete my WIA obligation, thank god I will not be forced to actually work in this business for too long. And I am real tired of being made to feel like I am a piece of **** just because I happen to loose my job and I decided on (the wrong) career change.

Originally posted by dknight
    If your experience as a DBA will not get you past an HR person, then i would doubt that an OCP certificate will.

There are roughly a buzzilion threads and posts on this forum addressing the market value of OCP. Have a look and draw your own conclusions.

I knew that every day I was in class, the post here on this fourm have taught me nothing new and only depressed me.
    The Oracle class I was in was created for people who had actually used Oracle for 2-3 years... Out of 22 people none of us had ever used Oracle before... Thank God a federal government program paid the 10K for it all...I know I would have demanded my money back if I was having to pay for it.

Re: weeder exam

Originally posted by chip c
    I think these certs are crap and it really makes me mad at the way the questions are written "to confuse" (like the actual information needed to know in being a DBA is not hard enough? we have to have Larry's version of "hazing"? WTF?) but regardless what I think I must have them in order to get past any given HR person so any info in regards to which test to take first would be helpful.
    I told you which one to take first. Oracle is hard. Cowboy up or go sit in the truck.

Originally posted by chip c
    Thank God a federal government program paid the 10K for it all
    Well, you've got my attention. Tell us more.
    David Aldridge,
    "The Oracle Sponge"

Senior Manager, Business Intelligence Development
    XM Satellite Radio
    Washington, DC

Oracle ACE

You seemed to have chosen something you apparently don't enjoy working with. I suggest dump it and try something else.
    Or
    Take up a concept manual, a machine and practice on your machine. I'm gonna tell you kid, you'll learn more than those experienced dudes.

And by the way, had you paid for your own training ,you wouldn't be whining here on this forum. Because then the choice would have been yours

Taking the cert after that training will be only easier. but like I said take a pick...
    Tarry Singh
    I'm a JOLE(JavaOracleLinuxEnthusiast)
    TarryBlogging
    --- Everything was meant to be---

Hey Chip;

Well I'm not sure where to begin here. There are a lot of valid points made and I'm not sure what you want to do or what your expectations are. The topic of paper DBA's really has been beaten to death here and few if any OCP's with no experience ever get a job, I am the only one I know that ever did. I do not mean that in a pompous way, it is just a fact.

Tarry and Steven made good points too, if you aren't really into it, why bother. The exams (ALL of them) are vague, tricky and convoluted, accept that and move on, no use getting upset over it.

PL/SQL is a tough exam, in my opinion you need to code it in order to pass, I hope you have Oracle installed at home. I failed that exam twice, then they changed it and I passed on the third try, it was the only exam I failed.

Net Admin is the easiest of the lot, that and B&R. Personally I’d do the tough ones first but that is me.

I’d strongly recommend studying for each exam one at a time, focus on one topic. Also, get the STS (self-test software) it will prepare you well.

Keep in mind that getting certified is only the beginning, getting a job will be very difficult too unless you have connections or flat out lie on your resume, the latter is not recommended. I was (am) lucky enough to work in a large company that is big on promoting from within. I made a lot of noise and showed a LOT of determination before they took me in as a trainee, I knew nothing then, now, 2 years later, I know next to nothing.

MH
    I remember when this place was cool.

Mr. Hanky,

Thank you for your response, regardless of which I go with first, this was the type of response I was looking for, one that is helpful.

Tarry,

You may be right, I do not know at this point.
    Actually when I do work on any DB here at home I do enjoy it, the set up at the school was very frustrating and I learned very little from only using command prompt tutorial without ever using the GUI (I know it is good to know both but only being trained on one was a waste of time)

I am also stuck, I've got a wife, 3 kids, no degree, I was in the semiconductor industry for years (non-IT related) then was dropped from that on 9-10-01 (yep the day before), Was given a chance to train in something new which is a blessing and chose Oracle instead of any MS certs since there are so many MS cert people in the area (many without jobs, our unemployment rate is double the Nat’l avg.)

So I really need this to work out even for a season.

Slimdave,

It's a program called WIA
    the one catch is that you need to be unemployed for at least 6 weeks.
    If you have that qualification contact your unemployment office they will direct you to the program. WIA takes surveys of areas and companies and finds out what is needed in that area. Then they will pay for people to change careers. When I signed up last July they allowed people with no IT experience to go through the OCP, now they have a rule that you must have 2 years in IT to take the classes, (gee I wonder why? lol... I do wish they had that rule in effect last year.. my WIA counselor even asked how I was able to stay in the class when most people who have any trouble just stop going...lol)

Stecal,

I already acknowledged that oracle was hard, it's the trickery that makes me frustrated..(mind you it's not just oracle, from what I understand it is this way with all certs or even say medical board exams) It's life and in life choleric a-holes usually write the test.
    I'm gonna mount up just wanted some opinions on which to ride first...lol

thanks y'all