DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: oracle 9iAS

oracle 9iAS

Just now i attended a workshop on 9iAS and how to convert forms into WEB.It says that 90% of coding will take care of while migrating from previous versions.Couple of days back one member posted a thread how to upgrade his AS.But as per replies he received from other moderators that it is like a hell while going through this migration process.Then why this oracle people are lying about their new product?

As i always say...
    "There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path."

Most of these Oracle peeps who give such presentations have no idea about what they are saying, they are actually sales executives not the technical people.

And if you had read that thread then it was cleary mentioned that the application may and may not need coding at all depending upon whether the application uses version specific feature that has been made obsolete with the recent ones.

And more ever the migration was from applications based on 7.3.4 to 9.2. In case of application migration thats a huge jump.

Read the thread again.

HTH
    Last edited by adewri; 05-25-2003 at 11:08 AM.
    Amar
    "There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path."

Amar's Blog  Get Firefox!

hiliarity ensues as developers take oracle sales at their word,
    "due diligence" my friend, you need to take no-ones word on the process and test it yourself, if you don't, you are destined to have problems and rick scrapping the project all together because Oracle Sales said it woudl be fine
    I'm stmontgo and I approve of this message

I migrated 90 forms from 6i to 9i. All of them needed to have change_alert_message changed to set_alert_property. Some of them needed changes from enable_item/disable_item to set_menu_item_property. One needed a change from tab canvas to stacked canvas. Converting the forms was a piece of cake. I did it via form builder because the migration tool was a piece of "brown stuff." However, the real pain in the ass was getting 9iDS to install on UNIX. Oracle docs and OSS knowledge about this suck. There's really no other word to describe that part of the product. But once you do it, it seems very easy in retrospect. Then, for bonus points, you can go thru a different kind of clown show to get 9iAS installed. One doc says to have no references to ORACLE_HOME in your setup, another says to make sure OH points to the right place. Very, very poor deployment of this product. Then you get some idiot from OSS telling you to look in online help for environment variables. True, there are references to EV's in the help, but NONE of them have anything to do with getting the product to run.