DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Preventing deadlocks

Preventing deadlocks

Preventing deadlocks. The DBA should recommend to developers that they try to set their processes up such that all processes acquire locks in the same order. This will prevent the situation where processes acquire locks on resources that others need in reversed order, which has a high probability of creating deadlock situations
    Hey,

Can anyone explain me how to set up the processes mentioned above...
    Pl...don't ask me to read.....got doubt only on reading....getting lot of deadlock issues.....

Thanks in advance...

------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

Now u know why I am getting doubt!!!!!!!!!!

Where did the quote come from? Deadlocks are pretty rare in Oracle, you know.
    David Aldridge,
    "The Oracle Sponge"

Senior Manager, Business Intelligence Development
    XM Satellite Radio
    Washington, DC

Oracle ACE

Re: Preventing deadlocks

Originally posted by freedba
    Hey,

Pl...don't ask me to read.....got doubt only on reading....getting lot of deadlock issues.....

Thanks in advance...

------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

Now u know why I am getting doubt!!!!!!!!!!
    Deadlock are like i have pizza (that i want to eat) that you want to eat and you have coke (that you want to drink) that i want want to drink. You are hoping that i give you the pizza, I am hoping that you give me the coke. Obviously, unless someone comes along with a beer for me and a hamburger for you, we would hang there forever.

Here are some common causes of deadlock. Try not to do them and you won't have any...

http://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/...&p_id=166924.1
    Amar
    "There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path."

Amar's Blog  Get Firefox!

Re: Re: Preventing deadlocks

Originally posted by adewri
    Deadlock are like i have pizza (that i want to eat) that you want to eat and you have coke (that you want to drink) that i want want to drink. You are hoping that i give you the pizza, I am hoping that you give me the coke. Obviously, unless someone comes along with a beer for me and a hamburger for you, we would hang there forever.
    I liked the example..
    Keep it up!!
    Sanjay G.
    Oracle Certified Professional 8i, 9i.

"The degree of normality in a database is inversely proportional to that of its DBA"

Re: Preventing deadlocks

Originally posted by freedba
    Hey,

Jus see to that NO 2 scripts, which accces ( i mean here..locking of rows by DML statements ) tables X and Y in order & reverse...run at same time .

This is jus one of the example where it may have a deadlock situation...

Abhay.
    funky...

"I Dont Want To Follow A Path, I would Rather Go Where There Is No Path And Leave A Trail."

"Ego is the worst thing many have, try to overcome it & you will be the best, if not good, person on this earth"