DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: how to avoid taking 1521 port during installation ?

how to avoid taking 1521 port during installation ?

Hello all..

i have oracle 817 running on Sun 5.8. This version is communicating with all its clients from port 1521.

Now i need to install version 9.2 on the same server but on a different HOME. I know that during the final stages of installation, it picks up port 1521 as default. Now this could cause a problem since port 1521 is already being used by 817 version.

how do i tell the installer to use a different port or eve more, how do i tell the installer to prompt which port to use for the the listener to work ?...

any help is appreciated

Ron

vr76413
    You can manually edit listener.ora and change the port no. or use Oracle Net Manager GUI to change the port.

HTH
    Sanjay G.
    Oracle Certified Professional 8i, 9i.

"The degree of normality in a database is inversely proportional to that of its DBA"

Thanks Sanjay...

but i can do it only after the installation is complete, and by that time, it will already start communicating on 1521, which means, my other version 817 which is using 1521 is screwed up...

Am i making any sense ?...

thanks
    Ron

Hi vr76413,

While installing oracle on your machine choose custom installation or avoid default database creation and do not create listener or configure Network connectivity (NET8) that way you can avoid default configuration of listener and you can always configure listener by using Net8 Assistant by using different port.

Cheers.
    Circumstances do not rise to meet our expectation. Embrace what you actually get. Open your eyes. See things for what they really are Thereby sparing yourself the pain of false attachements.

thanks a lot