DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: control files

control files

hi

when we create database through dbca by default it creates 3 control files. do all these control files contain the same data or are they different.because when i startup my database with only one file it starts my db but does not allow me to work further.

another query regarding controfiles is that through oem if u check :
    database/storage/controlfile and in the right pane the record section tab
    it gives some details regarding record size, record total. for eg.
    database record size is 192, record total is 1 , records used is 1.
    what does these parameters signify.

another doubt if i were to view the contents of controlfile , how would it be possible.

another query, how would i reduce the size of my control files , when i went through the manuals the maxlogfiles, maxlogmembers etc. influence in the size of control files. and there is no other way to give size for my control files. i want to compare the physical size of my control files with these parameters that we provide while creating database.is it possible. how.

thanks
    ser
    Last edited by ser; 05-21-2003 at 05:18 AM.

These are some of the very basic things and you find answers to all your questions in manual. So please read the friendly manual.
    Sanjay G.
    Oracle Certified Professional 8i, 9i.

"The degree of normality in a database is inversely proportional to that of its DBA"

Re: control files

Originally posted by ser
    hi

when we create database through dbca by default it creates 3 control files. do all these control files contain the same data or are they different.because when i startup my database with only one file it starts my db but does not allow me to work further.
    They are all identical.

Originally posted by ser

another query regarding controfiles is that through oem if u check :
    database/storage/controlfile and in the right pane the record section tab it gives some details regarding record size, record total. for eg.
    database record size is 192, record total is 1 , records used is 1.
    what does these parameters signify.
    This is basically v$controlfile_record_section. Read the Manuls to understand what control files contains.

Originally posted by ser

another doubt if i were to view the contents of controlfile , how would it be possible.
    look at v$controlfile_record_section. controlfile is binary file, so dont try to open it using any text editor.

Originally posted by ser

another query, how would i reduce the size of my control files , when i went through the manuals the maxlogfiles, maxlogmembers etc. influence in the size of control files. and there is no other way to give size for my control files. i want to compare the physical size of my control files with these parameters that we provide while creating database.is it possible. how.
    thanks
    ser
    How does a 2MB approx. file bother your physical size. Don't waste time on control file sizes. There are other things to look around for estimating physical size.
    Amar
    "There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path."

Amar's Blog  Get Firefox!

To view the contents of controlfile,take its backup to trace.
    Alter database backup controlfile to trace;