DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Forms and Reports 6i DB connection problems

Unhappy Forms and Reports 6i DB connection problems

Hi everyone, this is my first post, here!

I'm working on an Oracle project for college and I'm trying to get the forms and reports to deploy.

I'm running a client/server system (laptop), Oracle 9i, standard edition.

I've got the OEM working fine and my SQL+ and SQL+ Worksheet are working great, too. They connect right up to my DB without a hitch.

Now, tonight when I tried running Forms and Reports, when I go in to browse for my tables and fill out the user name, password and service, it's giving me an error.

Here are my exact steps and the output.

1. Click on Form Builder.
    2. Welcome to the Form Builder wizard pops up.
    3. I choose "use the data block wizard."
    4. Then I select "table or view"
    5. When I hit the browse button, a window pops up that says "connect"
    6. I input my user name (projectdemo), password (computer) and database (steve). Then hit connect.
    7. Get an error message "ORA-12154: TNS: could not resolve service name."
    8. I believe this is the information, in #6, that is being asked for.

When I type the same information into the SQL editors or the OEM it connects me.

I only have one DB called Steve and I'm the sysoper and sysdba, so I have all of the passwords.

Does anyone have a clue what I'm not doing or doing incorrectly?

Thanks,

Steve

I was reading up on some documentation (there's alot of it!) and it says that the Forms and Reports need to be in the same home as the 9i Database. I'm not sure if it would let me do that when I installed it, and at the time I assumed it should go into its own home.

Currently my Oracle9i DB is in home "Oracle"

and my Forms and reports are in "OracleF"

Does this sound like I might have installed it into the wrong home?

Would this explain why the service isn't connecting?

I'll uninstall it and reinstall it, tomorrow, if I can't get it solved.

Thanks,

Steve

Go to the home folder of your installed Form Developer, there is Bin Folder, here u will also find "Oracle Net8 Easy Config"( orignal name of the program is N8sw ). Execute the program and follow the steps of wizard. It means you have to create a Host Name Service for the Forms Developer. After making the Net Name Service then connect to oracle through Form Developer, Give your username, Password and Service Name.

Namet ullah kalair

When Forms installs, it creates its own version on tnsnames.ora and sqlnet.ora in the $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin directory. Those files need to match what you have in the $O_H for 9i. Or, you can use an environment variable called TNS_ADMIN and set it to the $O_H for 9i. The two files in the 6i version have not been properly configured; that is why you get the connection error. It is almost always better to install Oracle products in separate homes. You don't really gain anything by installing one product on top of another, plus when there is a version change, Oracle may not allow the combined ORACLE_HOMES. Happens all the time.

Wink

Thanks Much!

I'm going to work with this information and get these things working.

Steve

Where in San Diego? I grew up there.

Smile

I live in University Heights, but, work in Scripps Ranch and go to school in Mission Valley. So, I'm all over the city

BTW I did run the N8sw.exe prog. and was successful at establishing a connection. Now I just need to rerun the forms and reports and see if I can get a connection there.

I'll let you know in a bit if I'm successful.

Thanks, again

Steve

Worked like a charm!

Seems kinda weird that I have to go through this extra step just to access my Database through the forms and reports.

It's like setting up an alias. What exactly is the reasoning behind doing this?

Now there's ANOTHER thing to remember.

Thanks,

Steve

Originally posted by sbinsdca
    Seems kinda weird that I have to go through this extra step just to access my Database through the forms and reports.
    Not really. Pretty much every Oracle product comes with some version of TNS configuration files. What if you only had Forms & Reports on your PC, and the server was elsewhere? Something has to tell Forms where to go find the database. In fact, you can use SQL*Plus that comes with Forms. One difference between SP in Forms and the version that comes with a RDBMS is that "show parameter whatever" doesn't work in the Forms version.

Talking

Welp,

Gotta rough form and it's associated report built. Not quite as easy as Access but much more powerful from what I can tell.

Thanks again for the help. I'm sure I'll be asking more questions, soon

Steve