DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Ora-8103

Ora-8103

Hi,
    When i am selecting from a table, it gives the error

select * from emp;
    ORA-8103-object no longer exists

Well, desc works fine. I analyzed the table with validate structure and it gives no errors.
    If i export and import, it works fine. But Create table as select * from doesnt work.
    The statsu of the object is valid in dba_objects.

There are so many table in my Database, and every other day i am getting this error in new tables. I cannot do the exp/imp for all the time for the tables which i get the error.
    Is there any one time solution for this ?

Well i searched in metalink; some people have reported the error but i couldn't find a concrete solution for this ?

Anybody has come across this kind of error ????

Can somebody help me out ?

Re: Ora-8103

There are several reasons why you may get this:

Does select * from emp where rownum < 10; give an error?
    Oracle Certified Master
    Oracle Certified Professional 6i,8i,9i,10g,11g,12c
    email: ocp_9i@yahoo.com

if you have a long query running against a or some table/s and before the query finishes the table is truncated you can get this error

one example is a query in a dwh running for a long time and overlaps with batch jobs where it truncates tables the query is running against

Exactly , There can be many reasons for this. Since this is happening frequently on various tables i kind of suspect some other activity like table reorg locking the table ..

It could also be due to block corruption ( frequently happening in your case which is not a good sign) . you must consider checking your memory / harddisk

Whcih version of the database and do you see a pattern about when this happens to you ?

Cheers

I have faced this error upon block corruption. I had to extract all rows from the table that I was able to and then I recreated the table. As far as I remebr there were only 1-2 corrupted blocks invloved.
    Oracle Certified Master
    Oracle Certified Professional 6i,8i,9i,10g,11g,12c
    email: ocp_9i@yahoo.com