DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ORA-12705: invalid or unknown NLS parameter value specified

1.During instalation what is the language u selected.
    2.U didn't mentioned what is the error u got during 8i installation.
    Do one thing
    Go to registry .HKEY_LOCAL MACHINE--SOFTWARE--ORACLE.
    Delete this oracle key.Do a fresh installation as fromyour attach file shows that u have other oracle versions isntalled there.
    Note: Doing any thing on Win95 as is Rock age system is not preferrable.Rather than wasting time better do testing on good system with good configuration as this is going to solve lot of your problems.

Registry entries listed

Hi,
    i noticed this strange thing in registry.
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE-->SOFTWARE-->ORACLE folder has a key(entry) ORACLE_HOME as "C:\ORAWIN95".
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE-->SOFTWARE-->ORACLE-->ALL_HOMES\ID0 folder has a key PATH as "D:\ORACLE\ORA90"
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE-->SOFTWARE-->ORACLE-->HOME0 folder has a key
    NLS_LANG as AMERICAN_AMERICA.WE8MSWIN1252.
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE-->SOFTWARE-->ORACLE-->HOME0 folder has a key ORACLE_HOME as "D:\ORACLE\ORA90".

i hope this information helps. Thanks for all ur replies.

Also I went to registry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE-->SOFTWARE-->ORACLE . In this ORACLE folder i found NLS_LANG entry which had a value of "NA" and changed it to value which someone told me should be this i.e AMERICAN_AMERICA.WE8ISO8859P1 . I tried to logon thru sqlplus with scott/tiger and I got this message box " ORA 205 CANNOT MOUNT DATABASE" with title of message window as Oracle 8 startup. Also sql plus had this message
    ERROR:
    ORA-01034: ORACLE not available
    ORA-09243: smsget: error attaching to SGA
    OSD-04101: invalid SGA: SGA not initialized.

Then i went to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE-->SOFTWARE-->ORACLE--> ALL_HOMES-->ID0. In ID0 folder too i changed the NLS_LANG to the same value but still got the same message pasted above. I also tried the command prompt method
    c:\> set NLS_LANG=AMERICAN_AMERICA.WE8ISO8859P1
    c:\> set oracle_sid=......
    c:\> sqlplus /nolog
    SQL> connect / as sysdba
    I get thru first few steps but when i got the SQL PROMPT and tried to login as sysdba but got the same message i.e
    ERROR:
    ORA-01034: ORACLE not available
    ORA-09243: smsget: error attaching to SGA
    OSD-04101: invalid SGA: SGA not initialized.

I dont know what to do now.

Someone xyz said "Try either matching the NLS_LANG parmeter or remove it. If there is no NLS_LANG parameter in the environment, the application will use what the database server passes back to it."

I deleted the NLS_LANG parameter from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE-->SOFTWARE-->ORACLE folder but i got same message which i got by changing the NLS_LANG.

Any suggestions are welcome.P.S why iam not getting email notification when someone is replying to my post. I had checked the box for automatic notification. Sorry for posting this issue but I had to literally check myself if someone replied or not.

u did a lot of mess with your installation.Do what i said in my previous post.No u will not get notification.

Hi Khadar,
    Thanks for ur reply. I will reinstall again. By the way why will i not get a automatic reply? any specific reason?

Thanks again..