DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: RAC on Win 2K Question

Hybrid View

RAC on Win 2K Question

Dear Gurus

I am a bit confused as to the role of OCFS in RAC on Windows. My understanding of OCFS is that it is Oracle's own file system implemented in Windows to allow disk sharing between the cluster nodes. If this is correct, can some one tell me:

1) What the role of OCFS is on RAC on Windows?

2) If raw devices will still be needed to be configured on Windows RAC cluster even when OCFS is implemented?

3) Why we still need raw devices on Windows with OCFS when the OCFS software is meant to allow disk sharing?

4)Any other good reading material on this apart from Oracle docs?

Thanks.
    roukie-dba

Re: RAC on Win 2K Question

Originally posted by roukie_dba
    Dear Gurus

I am a bit confused as to the role of OCFS in RAC on Windows. My understanding of OCFS is that it is Oracle's own file system implemented in Windows to allow disk sharing between the cluster nodes. If this is correct, can some one tell me:

1) What the role of OCFS is on RAC on Windows?
    A OCFS offers:

- Simpler management
    - Use of Oracle Managed Files with RAC
    - Single Oracle Software installation - Autoextend enabled on Oracle datafiles
    - Uniform accessibility to archive logs in case of physical node failure
    - With Oracle home on CFS, when you apply Oracle patches CFS guarantees that the updated Oracle home is visible to all nodes in the cluster.

2) If raw devices will still be needed to be configured on Windows RAC cluster even when OCFS is implemented?
    3) Why we still need raw devices on Windows with OCFS when the OCFS software is meant to allow disk sharing?
    -- Your OCFS resides on your RAW filesystems so you need RAW devices. Raw filesystem are nothing but unformated logical space or uncooked filesystem. So if OCFS is supported on you platform use OCFS else use raw partitions.

4)Any other good reading material on this apart from Oracle docs?
    Thanks.
    refer to

http://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/...&p_id=178882.1

http://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/...&p_id=236155.1

http://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/...&p_id=183408.1

HTH
    Amar
    "There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path."

Amar's Blog  Get Firefox!

Ue OCFS only if you need to on Oracle and never put your Oracle Home there.

You might be forced to use OCFS if oyu are using something like Oracle Apps or PeopleSoft where those apps require many datafiles.
    Also consider with raw devices you are limited to 32 devices per lun so you can easily run out depending on your disk conofg. With OCFS however, that is not an issue, you can have has many files on an ocfs partition (drive letter) as space will permit.

steve
    I'm stmontgo and I approve of this message