DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: completely automate recovery process?

Question completely automate recovery process?

My boss asked me to do a project that will completely automate the DB recovery process by simply clicking a button in a web/HTML page. For the front/middle portions, I will use Java. In the backend, I am thinking about using RMAN with catalog because many tasks can be automated easily. However, I am not sure I can write a single RMAN script that will cover all cases of recoveries, assuming appropripate backups exist. This also assumes, for example, system administrator already recovers at OS level. Is it possible?

The DBs are running on Win2k and DB server version is 8.1.7.3.

BTW, the whole reason this needs to be done is because of the Oracle Embedded license program which prohibits our clients from using ANY Oracle tools INTERACTIVELY.

Any input is very much appreciated.
    Last edited by a128; 05-08-2003 at 09:01 PM.

These Bosses again??? What's wrong with them?
    Tell you boss different failures require thier recovery processe.

You would probably be out of job after waisting your time to
    come up with something like this.

Re: completely automate recovery process?

Originally posted by a128
    My boss asked me to do a project that will completely automate the DB recovery process by simply clicking a button in a web/HTML page. For the front/middle portions, I will use Java. In the backend, I am thinking about using RMAN with catalog because many tasks can be automated easily. However, I am not sure I can write a single RMAN script that will cover all cases of recoveries, assuming appropripate backups exist. This also assumes, for example, system administrator already recovers at OS level. Is it possible?

The DBs are running on Win2k and DB server version is 8.1.7.3.

BTW, the whole reason this needs to be done is because of the Oracle Embedded license program which prohibits our clients from using ANY Oracle tools INTERACTIVELY.

Any input is very much appreciated.
    I am a oracle DBA ..why the hell are you after my job ..:-)..
    dont you see the catch here.After the product is built your boss will be designing a HTL form with a button to fire You :-)

regards
    Hrishy

P.So me a favour and code some nasty bugs in that product pal ;-)

This would be an interesting system to test, eh? All you'd have to do is create a test system, and then cause every possible type of failure, and let the system automatically recover from it! I wonder why Oracle haven't built such a system themselves?

Of course, since the system is fully automated then you have no-one available who regularly works with RMAN etc., and you lack any skills to diagnose and recover from any problems with the recovery system.

I'm no lover of antiquated, time-consuming, labor-intensive methodologies, but tell your boss to buy the goddam licenses. If he thinks that proper backup and recovery knowledge and tools are expensive, he should try the total loss of the business's data. The only thing that could save his job is if he had a fall-guy (hint hint).

It's rare that the term "asinine" leaps to mind when describing a requirement, but ...
    David Aldridge,
    "The Oracle Sponge"

Senior Manager, Business Intelligence Development
    XM Satellite Radio
    Washington, DC

Oracle ACE

LOL Total Cost of Ownership

Hey!! does your boss know anything about I.T. let alone Oracle?
    I'm sure it's one of those old school Main frame guys again trying to
    cause problems.

Do us a favor. Let him read this post and after that ask him to take a class in Oracle backup and recovery.

Oh God I'm so upset!!!

Now, now, now. Where are we going to get with those attitutes? While you guys are afraid this will put you out of a job, a128 has a valid reason to automate these tasks. It sounds like he will be selling a product based on Oracle and can sell a "run-time" type license to the client as long as they don't use any interactive tools. Sounds reasonable to me.

If you are using 9i, the RMAN scripts are much easier to use for recovery than previous versions. In fact, all you may need is to issue "RECOVER DATABASE" from your rman prompt and let RMAN do the rest. In practice, however, you will have to duplicate the functionality of RMAN in order to adequately recover in all situations.
    Jeff Hunter

Originally posted by randy
    I'm sure it's one of those old school Main frame guys again trying to cause problems.
    As an "old school Main frame guy" should I take offence?

Even in those dark and distant days we knew that the hard questions were: What the hell happened? When? Why? How? Who? Once you have those answers, recovery is fairly easy. The only difference is one of scale - two operators getting their card decks mixed up, compared to . . . well, you know how it is today.

(The real problem is the promotion to "management" causes the brain to atrophy due to lack of excercise.)
    "The power of instruction is seldom of much efficacy except in those happy dispositions where it is almost superfluous" - Gibbon, quoted by R.P.Feynman

Originally posted by DaPi
    well, you know how it is today.
    Like "I did TRUNCATE TABLE xyz and issued ROLLBACK but it didn't rollback my changes..."
    Jeff Hunter

Originally posted by randy
    Oh God I'm so upset!!!
    breath in, 2,3,4......breath out 2,3,4......