DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: upgrading from 8i to 9i

upgrading from 8i to 9i

I am upgraded db from 8i to 9i. I will also install App. Server 9i. Should I expect to see issues using my forms and reports built in 6i versions of developer? or is the transition(migration) process fairly seemless?

[rant]
    Ha! You should expect to see a total goat screw. Are there issues upgrading Forms 6i to 9i? [lecture]You obviously haven't done your homework. [/lecture]

To upgrade your 6i forms, which I assume you've been using in a clent/server fashion, you will need to install iDS and migrate the forms. It's actually easier to use f90desm Form Builder than to try and use the plsqlconv.sh script. Copy your 6i forms' fmb files to a playground, set up your iDS forms development area (like if you are using a color palette, attached library, etc.), open the 6i form, compile it with using iDS/Forms 9i, save and close the fmb.

Now, if all goes well, it will seem seemless to you. More than likely, you will have to edit triggers, procedures, etc. to change obsolete 6i built-ins to the 9i version of them. change_alert_message, enable_item/disable_item (for menus) are two common built-ins that must be converted.

BUT, before you can convert your 6i forms, you have the challenge of simply getting f90desm to run in the first place. For Windows, there are notes on MetaLink on what to include inside of several environment variables, but there is no one place that tells you WHAT the env var's are supposed to be in the first place. On Solaris, put on your SA hat and rock and roll with patches and upgrading your Java SDK. Oh, did I mention you have to Java-enable your 9i database? dbca may work for you, but don't count on it. You have to do it manually by knowing the secret script run by _______.

You'll love the process, you'll learn a lot, and don't bother ragging on Oracle about the clown show process/procedure (well, there isn't a procedure) because I've already done that in a TAR.

If you simply want Forms to run on the web, all you need is iDS up and running. The OC4J http-like engine in it looks like iAS, walks like iAS, and quacks like iAS. In fact, when you (finally) get to the point of being able to enter a URL in your browser to run a form, you see the 9iAS welcome or installation successful screen. Did I mention there is a patch for iDS?[/rant]

sounds a lot like the upgrade to 6i. Had to deal with the editing of triggers, procedures as well. Any experience in the upgrading of reports built in the 6i report builder?