DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: oracle scripts book

Lightbulb oracle scripts book

Hi Friends,
    What is the best book for dba scripts....(on UNIX)
    I going arround all the scripts and not finding any book..may be I am missing.
    any help is appriciated.
    Thanks.
    Thanigaivasan.

well, if you have some SQL and Data Dictionary knowledge I dont see any point the need of a book???

I donot want to buy a book for me.
    I want (have) to refer that to my buddy in EAST COAST who wants me to write code everytime for him.If there is any book I can ask him to refer or study...that way he will improve his knowledge in UNIX.

Thanks.
    Thanigaivasan.

Originally posted by pando
    well, if you have some SQL and Data Dictionary knowledge I dont see any point the need of a book???
    You can't be serious? Now granted, you have a very good understanding of what you're doing and have paid the price to learn the arcane and idiotic ways that Oracle does things. Most people don't have that kind of time or patience. This database is as overly-complicated as it gets. There ar many historical and political reasons for this sad state of affairs, but it *is* there. This database is 100 times more difficult to learn and manage than SQLServer (and, sorry, it is *not* 100 times more powerful). The complexity is simply not justified. As always, don't get me wrong - I switched from SQLServer to Oracle many years ago - for my own reasons. But that doesn't change the fact that everything in this database, including the pathetic data dictionary, and especially anything having to do with administering this monster, is farrrrrrr from obvious.

So somebody is asking for a little help to tame this beast. So would I. Cut him some slack.

- Chris
    Christopher R. Long
    ChrisRLong@HotMail.Com
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong

Oracle8i Administration and Management by Ault has a lot of scripts. O'Reilly has a book titled, appropriately enough, Oracle Scripts. There are many more. Tell your friend to search on Google, go to a bookstore, look around.

Best source for scripts is web....u get almost everything..
    only problem...not in one place...u have to search so many sites...

Thumbs up

This one is good - Oracle9i UNIX Administration Handbook by Donald K. Burleson

Doesn't have everything, but still it's a good starting point.

Hope that helps,

clio_usa - OCP 8/8i/9i DBA