DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can't connect to DB

Unhappy Can't connect to DB

Hi. I changed the IP address and name of my server. I changed the listener.ora and tnsnames.ora file and changed the host name. I keep getting the following errors. ORA-01034: ORACLE not available and
    ORA-27101: shared memory realm does not exist.
    The TNSPING command works. Please help. Thank you.

This smells like NT - if so, is the OracleServiceSID service running?
    "The power of instruction is seldom of much efficacy except in those happy dispositions where it is almost superfluous" - Gibbon, quoted by R.P.Feynman

Yes its on NT and the service is up.

Forget my last post.

I get this on a client machine when the db hasn't been started.
    "The power of instruction is seldom of much efficacy except in those happy dispositions where it is almost superfluous" - Gibbon, quoted by R.P.Feynman

Originally posted by pascal01
    Yes its on NT and the service is up.
    Don't be coy! Where are you trying to connect from? If not the server, can you do any thing directly on the server? etc etc

Hi, I get the same error when trying to connect on a client and server. However I am working on the server. I checked the ORACLE_HOME and ORACLE_SID variables and they seem OK. I tried restarting the listener and db service... keep getting the same error.

I get this error if the db is not started (is yours autostart?) and I try to connect with svrmgrl or sqlplus on the server with a user id with "insufficient" priviledges. Using sys or internal works.
    (I have no idea what "insufficient" is in this context).

try!

Originally posted by pascal01
    Hi, I get the same error when trying to connect on a client and server. However I am working on the server. I checked the ORACLE_HOME and ORACLE_SID variables and they seem OK. I tried restarting the listener and db service... keep getting the same error.
    check your system regedit
    ORACLE
    ORA_WINORA_AUTOSTART IS TRUE ?

if it is false change to true ,restarting db service ~~~

I'd recommend sorting this prob before starting to hack the registry . . . . let's have the probs one at a time

If you don't like autostart (I don't) then connect with sys or internal and "startup pfile= . . . . . . "

Hi. I can't use svrmgrl anymore. I'm getting an ORA-12560 TNS PROTOCOL ADAPTER ERROR. The ORACLE_HOME, ORACLE_SID, ORACLE_PATH are all set correctly. The listener and service is started. Looks like something screwy is going on. Please help thanks.