DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: RMAN restore to different platform?

RMAN restore to different platform?

My backup copies are nearly done downloading since yesterday. I was going to attempt a restore to win2k of a solaris backup, but I am beginning to wonder if that was just a pipe dream.

I know you can rename datafiles during recovery so it seems kind of important to save the dba_data_files output while backing up.

But I am not sure its going to work. If its just reading and writing Oracle blocks then it may.

I doubt it works...these are files written to solaris so its prolly not going be able to read that format from a windows rman utility.

Unless something changed.....it was just a pipe dream:

3.4 Restores To A Different Machine
    3.4.1 Overview
    This section deals specifically with RMAN restores to a different machine. The key to being able to do this is that the machine must be another similar machine. Similar is defined as the same basic hardware,

the same OS,

same basic kernel configuration, and available disk space. In addition..

Thumbs up

You can always use the RMAN from the Solaris box to create a clone to another box. For RMAN 9i and later use the RMAN DUPLICATE command to create a copy of the backed up. This command takes backups and copies of the primary database's files and uses them to create a new database.

And as we speak about th edocumentation:

As part of the duplicating operation, RMAN manages the following:

Restores the target datafiles into the duplicate database and performs incomplete recovery using all available archived log and incremental backups.

Opens the duplicate database with the RESETLOGS option after incomplete recovery to create the online redo logs.

Generates a new, unique database identifier for the duplicate database.
    One thing you have to do: rename the datafile's location from UNIX to Windows paths.

Hope that helps,

clio_usa - OCP 8/8i/9i DBA

Originally posted by clio_usa
    You can always use the RMAN from the Solaris box to create a clone to another box. For RMAN 9i and later use the RMAN DUPLICATE command to create a copy of the backed up. This command takes backups and copies of the primary database's files and uses them to create a new database.

And as we speak about th edocumentation:

One thing you have to do: rename the datafile's location from UNIX to Windows paths.

Hope that helps,

clio_usa - OCP 8/8i/9i DBA
    Sometimes I wonder if you even have a clue about Oracle...

There are two ways to switch platforms:
    1. export/import
    2. sqlplus COPY command

Either way, you'll have to pre-create your database on the target platform. You're wasting time trying to use RMAN to duplicate across OS.
    Jeff Hunter

"You're wasting time trying to use RMAN to duplicate across OS."

Thats helpful advice, dont want to waste my weekend.

I was hoping to do a quick and dirty restore of the files to my machine since the backups are only 2 GB, not for the purpose of cloning just to see if the backup set is reliable.

I will have to do this on another sun box monday, unless clio_usa has actually done it cross platform.

clio_usa?