DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: patchset for Oracle Standard Edition 8.1.7

Hybrid View

patchset for Oracle Standard Edition 8.1.7

Hi all,

I couldn't find out any info on metalink about Standard Edition, I only find stuffs and I guess they are all Enterprise Edition. Coule questions.

1. what is the lastest patchset for Oracle 8.1.7???
    2. patchset number if there is one.

Would it be the same pathset with Enterprise Edition????

thanks
    Last edited by mike2000; 04-30-2003 at 06:03 PM.

What platform?

For Solaris 64bit..

I found: Patchset::2376472

They're out there... search for it
    alapps

Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick Two(2)

Mike, I too find it almost impossible to find & understand Oracle patches!

What I found for NT (that's your OS isn't it?):
    Patchset 2376472 is from June 2002 and gives you version 8.1.7.4.1 - it does not say that it is for EE only.
    Since then there have been a lot of Patches, latest being 8.1.7.4.10

I've had some "conversations" with MeatLink (sorry, MetaLink) about the Security Alerts:
    Alert #54 seems to have been "accidentally" fixed by 8.1.7.4.1 (the problem was discovered after the solution existed!)
    Other Alerts up to #51(?) need 8.1.7.4.10

Well that's what I believe to be true . . . and that's what I'm doing (for EE).
    "The power of instruction is seldom of much efficacy except in those happy dispositions where it is almost superfluous" - Gibbon, quoted by R.P.Feynman

Originally posted by DaPi
    I've had some "conversations" with MeatLink (sorry, MetaLink) about the Security Alerts:
    Alert #54 seems to have been "accidentally" fixed by 8.1.7.4.1 (the problem was discovered after the solution existed!)
    Other Alerts up to #51(?) need 8.1.7.4.10
    This info from MeatLink is apparently CRAP.

Just found Note:237172.1 on MeatLink saying that for alert #54 you need patch 2899111 (this is 8.1.7.4.9) which, it turns out, is missing a file in the NT version - so in fact you need patch 2904997 (8.1.7.4.10)
    "The power of instruction is seldom of much efficacy except in those happy dispositions where it is almost superfluous" - Gibbon, quoted by R.P.Feynman

Dapi,
    While applying patchset 8.1.7.4.10, I encountered the following error, while trying to execute prvtbfla.plb(this is one of four scripts suggested we should run, others ran sucessfully). This is on Win 2000. I was applying this patchset on 8.1.7.4.1.

Code:
    SQL> conn sys/change_on_install@amdata;
    SQL> @d:\oracle\ora81\rdbms\admin\prvtbfla.plb

Warning: Package Body created with compilation errors.

SQL> show err
    Errors for PACKAGE BODY DBMS_REPCAT_FLA:

LINE/COL ERROR
    -------- -----------------------------------------------------------------
    0/0      PL/SQL: Compilation unit analysis terminated
    1/14     PLS-00201: identifier 'DBMS_REPCAT_FLA' must be declared
    1/14     PLS-00304: cannot compile body of 'DBMS_REPCAT_FLA' without its
             specification

Any ideas on what it could be. Could not find anything on Metalink.

TIA.
    -- Dilip

me too !!!

The installation notes for 8.1.7.4.7 say that this is only if you have Advanced Replication - I guess this line got dropped from this patch readme.txt

If anyone from Oracle is watching: the whole patch area is a heap of 5H1T - the installation instructions are always wrong and first-line MeatLink doesn't have a clue either.

BTW the two .map files go in HOME\bin (only used in some error tracing apparently) - that's missing from the instructions too.

You might need to run catexp.sql as well - depends on which version you are coming from. I've run it - it doesn't hurt to do it when it's not needed.

Thank You Dapi. No, I am not using Replication. So I guess I can ignore that error. I agree that running catexp.sql after installing patches is always a good idea. You never know when you face Oracle 0904 Error.

Have to say, Installing Oracle patchsets is really cumbersome. You never know if you have missed any files while manually copying at thier respective directories. This is more bad coz there is no way to know what patchsets have been applied. V$version, product_component_version, Oracle\Inventory\Patchsets all give incomplete information.

Thanks.
    -- Dilip

Originally posted by patel_dil
    Have to say, Installing Oracle patchsets is really cumbersome. You never know if you have missed any files while manually copying at thier respective directories.
    Absolutely! I consider it unacceptably unprofessional for the files not to be supplied in a directory structure.

catalog.sql runs catexp.sql, and as we all know we must run catalog.sql after patching so to be honest there is no really need to run catexp.sql oke!

I have applied quite a few 8.1.7.4 and other patches in linux and unix, straight forward so this is probably only windows problem?