DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is the maximum no. of indexes per table???

Originally posted by DaPi
    Which gives a limit of the order of 10**100 (that's a Google isn't it?). Julian, nice to see you are planning ahead for some REALLY BIG databases
    Yeah right.. I am planning to turning the computer off and opening a bottle of Jameson.
    Oracle Certified Master
    Oracle Certified Professional 6i,8i,9i,10g,11g,12c
    email: ocp_9i@yahoo.com

Originally posted by julian
    The limitation comes from the maximum columns in one table: 1000; and maximum number of columns in a concatinated index: 32.
    Good Point, Julian.
    -- Dilip

opening a bottle of Jameson.
    Small stuff! That's only 10**26 molecules
    "The power of instruction is seldom of much efficacy except in those happy dispositions where it is almost superfluous" - Gibbon, quoted by R.P.Feynman

There is a limit depending on the tables volume and hardward available. I had a table with 5 indexes being inserted at a rate of 700 records per second and the hardard couldn't keep up (With 4 indexes it could). But the same table with 10 inserts per second would be fine.
    OCP 8i, 9i DBA
    Brisbane Australia

Also remember,

Maximum number of columns allowed in a bitmap index is 30.

The limitation comes from the maximum columns in one table: 1000; and maximum number of columns in a concatinated index: 32.
    After relection, I now realise that a tighter limit is that of producing unique 30 character names using alphanum (plus _ $ and #) - there are only 10**45 of these !
    "The power of instruction is seldom of much efficacy except in those happy dispositions where it is almost superfluous" - Gibbon, quoted by R.P.Feynman

You could use mixed-case naming of course. Never neglect the beneficial use of bad design practices!
    David Aldridge,
    "The Oracle Sponge"

Senior Manager, Business Intelligence Development
    XM Satellite Radio
    Washington, DC

Oracle ACE

slimdave, I did think of mixed case after posting - thought that was in the domain of "b*gg*r*ng flies" - OK, with mixed case you get to around 10**54

(BTW if you're into trivia - Archimedes' "Sand Reckoner" is the earliest known discussion of naming big numbers. He estimated the number of grains of sand that would fit in a sphere the size of his "universe" - something like the size of the solar system. The biggest number in his first "period" was 10**80000 and he didn't stop there!)

grjohnson, what is this "hardware" you speak of that so limits human imagination?