DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: oracle & linux installation

Question oracle & linux installation

Hi friends:

Please help. I ran into this wierd problem while trying to install 9i on my PIII box. The O/S is Red Hat 7.3 with 1G RAM. I downloaded the 3 zipped files from OTN, but when I went to uncompress the first one (disk1), I received this error:
    #cpio -idmv < lnx_920_disk1.cpio.gz
    cpio: warning: skipped 116160 bytes of junk.
    cpio: warning: the archive header has reverse byte-order.

I tried it on the other two files (disk2 &3) and it works fine. I installed 9i on this very same box using the same method a month ago and did not encounter this problem at all.

Has anyone encounter this problem before, and if so, how did you get around it/solve it?

T.I.A for all the help.

John

Either the download Of zip1 was incomplete or improper.

Had it been on WIN...it wud have shown whether the file was currupt...but i have no idea abt how to go on linux.
    funky...

"I Dont Want To Follow A Path, I would Rather Go Where There Is No Path And Leave A Trail."

"Ego is the worst thing many have, try to overcome it & you will be the best, if not good, person on this earth"

Hi

First run

1)gunzip lnx_920_disk1.cpio.gz --make sure gunzip utility is installed or ask your ssyadmin to do so

2)then run

cpio -idmv
    regards
    Hrishy

Hi Hrishy:

I issued the following gunzip command and then pipe it to cpio -idmv and got a different error message:

$ gunzip lnx_920_disk1.cpio -idmv | cpio -idmv
    cpio: premature end of archive.

By the way, I downloaded it directly onto this box. Earlier in the day, I downloaded onto my Mandrake 8.1 box and burnt it onto a CD and got the same identical error message when trying to uncompress it. Any idea?

Again, T.I.A for all the help/suggestion.

John

correction:

The correct command issued was:

# gunzip lnx_920_disk1.cpio.gz | cpio -idmv

Good news:

I tried it again, step by step, as suggested by Hrishy, and it works this time. It is rather odd that I was still able to uncompress disk2 & 3 using my "shortcut" way, but not disk1.

Anyway, thanks a million for all the help.

John